So this is just a super simple lil recipe… it makes one loaf… I pull this one together any time I know we’ll be eating Italian! Its full of flavor and sure beats paying $3-$5 for a loave at the grocery store! I think this loaf cost me about 5-10 cents to make! (I have a couple more French bread recipes I like as well… I’m sure I’ll have them up here soon enough)
Easy French Bread
- 1 Cup warm water 110-120
- 2 TBLS sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast (one packet)
- 2 TBLS oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp cold water
- Add sugar and water to bowl and sprinkle with yeast. Let set 5-10 mins or until foamy.
- Add oil, salt and flour and use dough hook to mix together.
- Pull out and knead into ball.
- Place in greased bowl flipping to cover both sides. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch it down and let it rise one more time about 30 minutes.
- Pull it out and flatted it out to a rectangle.
- Jelly roll it up and tuck ends under.
- Place on greased baking sheet (optional… spread cornmeal out)
- Cover and let rise 30-60 mins
- Pre Heat oven to 375 degree.
- Optional brush with egg wash… For a harder crust.
- Give it a couple quick swipes with a serrated knife.
- Bake for 25 minutes… If you didn’t do the egg wash brush with butter after it comes out.
Try making them as sandwich rolls too… just cut the bake time back a bit… Or try this recipe: Easy French Bread Rolls