20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

I call these the 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits… I’ve made these countless times over the years … They are by far one of the fastest bread sides I’ve come across… and they can darn near be added to any meal!  I found these biscuits through allrecipes … and I’ve made them with both butter or shortening and they turn out perfect either way!

We love these biscuits… they melt in your mouth!  Not only that but they take 20 minutes to make from start to finish!!  Sure beats those tubes of biscuits you pick up in the refrigerated section at the grocery store…  How fresh are those??  See any ingredients on the back you can’t even sound out???  And then compare to price for one tube to this recipe… Pennies on the dollar!

Its a win win!!  :)

20 Minute Biscuit Collage 680

Here is some great biscuit cutters to have around the house!  Great for Sugar Cookies too!

4.8 from 8 reviews

• 2¼ Cups Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • ⅓ cup Shortening or Butter
  • 1 cup Milk
  • extra flour for the counter
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Grease baking sheet.
  3. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl mix together.
  4. Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
  5. Add half the milk and mix, then add remaining milk and mix together.
  6. Put on floured surface and kneed gently 15-20 times.
  7. Pat out flat and cut out biscuits.
  8. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
  9. Brush tops with butter as they come out.

Follow pictures for a step by step tutorial and helpful tips  :)

Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.

Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.

Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.

Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.

add half of the milk and mix

add half of the milk and mix

add remaining milk and mix together.  Your dough should be sticky

add remaining milk and mix together. Your dough should be sticky

Plop it onto a well floured surface and gently kneed 15-20 times.

Plop it onto a well floured surface and gently kneed 15-20 times.

Should look about like this.

Should look about like this.

Flatten out about 1-2 inches thick and cut biscuits out.  Or use this next trick...

Flatten out about 1-2 inches thick and cut biscuits out. Or use this next trick…

Fold over ... So when you cut your biscuits open its easier!

Fold over … So when you cut your biscuits open its easier!

Cut biscuits with a knife to have no leftover or use a biscuit cutter.

Cut biscuits with a knife to have no leftover or use a biscuit cutter.

Place on greased baking sheet.

Place on greased baking sheet.

Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.

Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.

Brush with butter as they come out!

Brush with butter as they come out!

20 minute biscuits valentines1

I cut them into shapes for Valentines Day!

If you like these… Try my Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits or 30 Minute Dinner Rolls

Looking for good breads??  My favorite is Amish White Bread and Easy French Bread

I used this recipe in Homemade Chicken & Biscuits

Homemade Chicken and Biscuits680

Comments

• says

So I have not yet experienced with gluten free… I do how ever have a good friend that comes to town a couple times a month that has eaten gluten free for 3 years now… He asks me for gluten free all the time… So I’m definitely looking into it… I can’t tell ya one way or the other though right now?? I would definitely give it a try if I were you and maybe make some slight changes to keep the texture and consistency similar?!

• says

1. Kathy Elswick says

Just a bit of buttermilk brushed on tops of biscuits before baking , will add a spectacular shine to them .

2. Debra R says

I will try these. Look easy and good. Does anyone know the right amounts to make a honey butter spread for it?

3. Char Squires says

Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening? I’m trying to get a little healthier these days. Thanks for the great recipe.

• Lou Gagne says

Think if you use coconut oil that you would refrigerate it first, then add as you would butter or shortening. Haven’t tried it yet, but is a good idea too. Will change the taste a bit.

4. gretchen ghivizzani says

What about reheating? Do they reheat well? Or can you make the dough ahead of time? Just curious.

• says

Gretchen… I’ve reheated mine the next day in the toaster oven! ( I don’t own a microwave) But I’ve turned the toaster oven to 225 and plopped them in there for 5 mins… MMM Ok I might have to make these again tonight for dinner now!! :)

• Beth says

Okay, okay, they were very easy and excellent picture instructions. Thank you. They are awesome. I’ve never made a good biscuit. These are light and delicious. Thanks for the recipe. :)

5. Chyk73 says

I tried them with almond milk siance my lil guy can’t have regular milk & mixed them in my mixer cuz I have very bad arthritis in my hands. It was very easy to work with & not much rolling out which was nice! Only thing I noticed is mine didn’t get nice n brown on top like in the picture… not sure if its cuz of the milk or just the way my oven cooks :)
    Very tasty & big hit with a fussy 3 yr old!

• says

Thank you for sharing!!! And if you make them again try brushing a lil almond milk on top of them before the go in the oven… that might help to get the brown tops :)
      Thanks again for sharing… So nice to see how versatile these biscuits can be!

6. Karen Stanley says

I saw your biscuit recipe here, and did use the self rising flour leaving out the baking soda, it worked great, this is now my favorite recipe for biscuits, and with the tip it’s a lot easier to open also the biscuits, thanks so much.

• says

Thank you Karen for SHARING!!! Good to know it can work with self rising! And I’m right there with you… as soon as I found this recipe (years ago) I still can’t remember where I found it?? It became my favorite go to recipe for biscuits! I love how fast they can be thrown together… everytime I think dinner is missing something… I whip these up!!
      Thanks again for sharing… I love hearing feedback… especially positive feedback :)

7. Bellinda Ursula Kwirant says

I always get excited when I see easy recipes, especially if its s/th my fussy husband loves from other recipes, So I will RUN now and try them out, right away, off I go…..SPEEEDO!!

8. kymomma says

I made these to go with dinner last night & they disappeared in minutes! I used butter instead of shortening & they turned out great! My 8-year-old daughter asked this morning if we’re having them again tonight, lol.

9. Stef says

Delicious! I don’t think we can ever go back to canned biscuits ever again. So easy. Turned out perfectly my first try.

10. MC says

I wonder if you can make these with gluten free Bisquick? And if so would you leave the salt and baking powder out?

• says

I hate to say this but I’m a Bisquick hater … I haven’t had it around for almost 10 years now! But I would maybe try it out with Gluten Free flour? I’m not sure what you would want to leave out if using the Bisquick?

11. says

:( tried making these twice tonight and I did something wrong. first itme I used shortening. when that did work I tried it again with butter. they didn’t rise either time and were very dense. I used AP flour and followed the instructions. the flour was unbleached–would that have mattered. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

• says

Oh no!! I made them tonight as well! Here’s two things I’m thinking… one are you doing a full Tablespoon of baking powder not teaspoon… two if you over kneed these that’s where it can go wrong! You just need to gently kneed it 10-15 times… Sorry your having problems!

12. Joyce Munroe says

I’ve been trying to make biscuits for over 50 years, without exaggeration, finally this simple recipe worked for me. I am so impressed! I used skim milk plus I forgot to knead the dough and they were still wonderful, we had strawberry shortcake, what a treat. Thank you!

13. Gwendolyn Perryman says

These biscuits has become a family favorite. They are quick and simple but makes me look let I have been working for hours. Love it.

14. Phillip says

Use vegetable oil. Much quicker. Use a whisk to blend it in. Only use 1/4 cup. Canola is ok as is olive oil. Not EVO since flavor is too strong. Light olive oil is better. But to be true butter gives best flavor.

• Cat says

I will try a batch with oil, see how it turns out, because I am a bit low on butter & shortening right now and want to make 2 batches. I may put shredded cheddar in these ones and some seasoned herb blend, and have the other ones plain with butter.

15. Victoria says

These are amazing! I didn’t realize that you could use the same amount of butter as shortening so I experimented based on research I did on other biscuit recipes. I used a half cup of butter cut into cubes. The results were amazing! These are bookmarked and I may never buy biscuits again.

16. Christina says

I found your blog/website last week and your recipes are amazing! Thank you for sharing such delicious recipes… my hubby is a happy man now ;).

17. Stephani Morrison says

Tried these tonight!! My first time ever making biscuits 100% from scratch! I’ve done the frozen biscuits in a bag (Mary B’s are really good, but occasionally don’t rise like they should) & of course the mix in a bag types where you just add the wet ingredients. I actually doubled the recipe & simply placed globs of the dough on a cookie sheet by hand & they were delicious! !! I got 12 big biscuits out of it & cooked them a few minutes longer than the 15 called for to get the tops golden brown. We had family over for dinner & everyone LOVED them…..I even got several great compliments including “these are the best biscuits I’ve ever had!” So glad I found this the other day…will be doing these a lot!!! Every biscuit was devoured tonight & my son wants them for breakfast!!!! THANK YOU!!! :) :)

18. Cat says

I am trying these at high altitude. I didn’t really make much adjustment of anything. It’s my first time baking at higher altitude as I’m from the Midwest, but now in the Rockies. I had the flour in the freezer to have it cold, cut in cold butter (which I could have made the crumb texture a bit more fine), and I used buttermilk as I have a southern-born husband raised on buttermilk biscuits. Husband says they are great, so we will be having these again!!

19. Patricia says

I just finished making ( and eating ) them. It was my first ever try at making biscuits. They where easy to make and really yummy. i topped it with a bit of sausage gravey. I will definatly be making these again.

20. joanncrohn says

I’m going to pin this recipe. I usually buy biscuits out of a can and I have not been happy with the result :/

21. says

Okay, love this recipe, but what I really love is the pictures. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time for that! So often I’m making something and I’m looking down at it like ‘Um…I *think* it’s supposed to look like that??’. So thank you!!

• says

Thank you! And I’m right there with you… I’m a total visual person… if I can’t see how it gets done then I get a little stumped and question myself! But I love to bake and cook … I feel like I can learn new things all the time as long as I let my guard down and go for it!!!

22. says

This is so funny, In England we call these scones! We traditionally eat them with a cup of tea, clotted cream and some homemade strawberry jam! I’ve never heard them being called biscuits! Biscuits are flat little things that crunch when you bite them – like cookies!

These have such a great rise on them! Will definitely be trying your recipe to see if they taste any different to scones!

Katie <3

23. says

Yum! I’ll have to save your recipe, my fiance is obsessed with biscuits and gravy and he gets it every time we go out for breakfast! This would be so fun to make at home for him!

24. Sandy M says

Fall is my most favorite season & when the first hint of cold starts there is nothing like the smell of any type of home made breads and anyone who comes by knows what you are baking.Thanx for this new recipe I will try tonite!!!!!!SANDY M.

25. jay says

I accidentally used 1tbsp of salt instead of 1tsp. Damn biscuits came out looking amazing and fluffy but too Damn salty. Can’t wait to do it right next time

26. says

Just tried these tonight and were fantastic! Took me 30 mins because I had toddler interruptions, buy still so easy and overall quick. I actually used a small heart shaped cookie cutter to make small portions and put them in for ten mins. Perfection! These are going to be used weekly!

27. Lillian says

The dough is unworkable it’s so moist that it just sticks to yor hands no matter how much flour you use this recipe is not great so far

28. Annmarie mORENO says

I haven’t made biscuits in years, just because I couldn’t find the right texture for the dough. they came out beautiful and I am just sitting here waiting for them to be done and to dig in. Thank you very much for such an easy recipe.

29. Brandi says

Never tried making homemade rolls before last nite. Huge hit! My father asked that I make employer @least once a week! Thank you.

30. Kirsten says

Yummo!!! I was leery of this recipe because it seemed too easy to be true…. but I was wrong!! These were super easy to make and ridiculously delicious! I made them to go with a recipe for chicken pot pie stew. It was perfect!

• Al says

I make biscuits like these all the time. The easiest way to incorporate the butter is to freeze it first and then use a box (or other type) grater to grate it directly into the flour mixture and then just give it a quick stir. . Easier and more efficient than cutting in, and frozen butter works best in recipes like this. Makes the finished product very fluffy.

31. melissa says

Thank u for sharing. Mine turned out very tasty and went great with our roast. I won’t be buying store biscuits again! :-)

32. Aws says

Important to use a sharp cutter so your biscuits can rise while baking. Thank you for the easy peasy biscuit recipe :)

33. Bren says

I used the same recipe for years and then due to health, didn’t bake. Imagine my dismay, when I started baking again that my biscuits wouldn’t turn out and were too dry. I had purchased a new colorful set of measuring cups to match my kitchen. After the fifth failed attempt, I found the one cup measure actually held almost 1 1/4 cups of flour! If your biscuits fail…check your measuring cups.

34. says

these were fantastic , so easy and liked the idea of seeing it being done step by step. I made them really thick and cut them in half and put a slice of ham and cheese on them !. WOW was it delicious. Thank you

35. Very Happy Chef ! says

Every time I have tried to make tea biscuits they have never turned out until now. These were light, fluffy, golden and delishous! Very easy and fast to make, thank you for sharing ! ! !

36. bill says

been looking for a good biscuit recipe to try. This is like those my mom made many years back. I used butter and they turned out great.

37. Denise says

These are amazing! The first batch I had too much flour on my board so they were a bit dusty and dry. lol The second batch was amazing and i added buttermilk and im so excited to add some shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese next time. mmmmmm Thank you so much for sharing.

38. Meagan says

Made these yesterday, not sure what happened but the dough was dry and they turned out kinda hard!! Going to give another try since it was my first time making homemade biscutts .

39. linsay says

I don’t know what I did wrong! I followed every step but it was near imposible to kneed this dough. I stuck to everything all over my hands. Finally just dropped it onto to baking sheet in 5 lumpy rounds, so will see how it bakes! Lol

40. Renee' Lizana says

I am 12 years old and I made the biscuits today for my grandparents and myself. The instructions were easy to follow and kneading the dough was pretty easy to. The turned out great and delicious!

• linsay says

Did you add extra flower? My dough was not dry enough. I’m wondering if it is cause I used butter instead of shortening and milk substitute. They still came out good just weirdly shaped.

• mandi says

use extra flour, flour your hands too makes it alot easier and i used self-rising cause then u don’t have to worry about baking soda came out great

• says

a cook once told me when making biscuits the dough should be wet and then kneed then on a well floured counter top. she is right……………………….

• Cat says

Linsay, I always use real butter, never shortening. I always use whole milk or buttermilk. The dough is supposed to be kind of wet, then dumped onto a floured board and add flour as you knead/fold it. Mine always turn out perfect that way. I gently shape the dough into a somewhat small rectangle/square, and cut them with a cutter, never twisting the cutter, push it straight down. Perfect beautiful round flaky biscuits every time. The final scraps molded into the last biscuit are funky looking, though.

41. debbie howell says

We love everything we have tried from your site. My finance made your french bread today. Just pulled it from the oven. Smells and looks great!!! Not a morning goes by without fresh biscuits anymore. Love ya… keep it up

42. says

OMG, I have not had briskets like this scene I was a boy in Arkansas. Mama use to make’em just like this but she just did it all in the top of the flower sack except folding it out on an enamel counter by the stove. All I need now is a fried chunk of salt pork and I’ll be back home.

43. Janis says

I made these for the fam yesterday and they loved them. My husband rarely eats biscuits and he really enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing!

44. Tiffany says

These were so simple and came out great! I did have to add a little more milk to get the right consistency and buttered the typos a few time before they were done. Yummy!

45. Kenzie says

I usually hate working with dough, but this recipe is super easy and quick. They came out perfect! The second time i made them, added cheese, garlic and oregano, and that’s now a family favorite.

46. Phil says

I tripled the sugar, added 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and folded in raisins to make cinnamon raisin biscuits. I brushed with butter then drizzled a vanilla glaze on them. Super yummy!

47. Jo Anne says

My Grandmother was known for her biscuits that she made every morning. They had a farm so seems like there was a jar of “clabbered” milk on the counter over night. She also had a square 8×8 black metal pan that she put grease in to melt in the oven. When she placed the biscuits in the pan she ran them thru the hot grease and then turned them over. No one has this recipe of course!

48. Lindsey says

I made these this morning, they were so tasty! Just perfect. And the dough took less than 5 minutes to make. I was a little scepticle to make homemade biscuits because I always buy the prepackaged ones and it sounded like a lot of work. but I don’t plan on going back, the taste and price of making these is so much better! Thanks for sharing

49. Attagrrl87 says

I found this recipe and whipped it up in no time! My biscuits tasted great but they didnt rise and look fluffy like the ones in the picture. I used regular flour and baking powder. Did you use self-rising flour to get them so fluffy?

50. Eva Lee says

Thanks! These were a lifesaver…. I make dinner for my 3 sibling 3 times a week. Each one of them likes different food and finding something they all will eat is an endless challenge. I had already made carrots for one of my siblings, chicken in BBQ sauce for another and had a third sibling throwing a temper tantrum… I quickly found your recipe and whipped it up… and to my great joy all 3 of my siblings and me loved them!!! I will have to make these more often.

51. Cheryl says

Made these today for first time with my 2yr old easy to make didnt look like the picture but tasted great will make them again

52. Shamayam says

I lost my old homemade biscuit recipe and came upon this one. I just pulled them out the oven and they taste AMAZING! I used coconut oil instead of butter or shortening, and ran out of my 2% milk half way through, so I used half 2% and half unsweetened vanilla almond milk. They taste so good, better than my old recipe. This one is for the books. Also, my dough was really wet so I made sure the surface, hands, and dough were well floured. That got it to a soft dough.

53. Susan Garretson says

Made these tonight. They taste great, but I ended up having to add extra milk and they didn’t rise very much. I used a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening. What did I do wrong?

54. Robin says

Easy & awesome…I have never been able to do biscuits well but tried this & now I am making almost daily becasue my family loves them. Lots of kuddos from all as they biten into the moist & soft flavorfull biscuit. Thanks so much! Follow the recipe exactly…I used skim milk because that is what we buy still great!

55. says

my hubby and son absolutely love biscuits… I have to admit that whenever I want to treat them with some, I go for the frozen kind since, I usually only have coconut flour and almond flour at home… this looks so simple and one that my hubby can pop out whenever he craves it ;o)

56. says

I love homemade biscuits! I haven’t ever made this version, but I do make a version that only has two ingredients (self-rising flour and whipping cream) that’s pretty much fool-proof. I’ll have to give these a try and see how they compare! :)

57. Melissa G says

I made these this morning with my 5 year old. Super easy! I had never made rolled out biscuits before (just drop biscuits because I am lazy and afraid of my rolling pin), but these were awesome, and as it turns out, not hard to flatten and cut (I just used my hands)! Totally making these again.

58. Taya says

These biscuits were so delicious! So easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. I will never buy biscuits again! And they stayed pretty moist for at least 2-3 days! Making them again for breakfast today!

59. says

Hi there, I wanted to make biscuits and gravy this morning and your biscuit recipe was my choice and it was a good choice. Easy to follow instructions and bam I got biscuits. Thanks for the recipe.

60. Doris Periman says

I have to tell Thank you for a wonderful biscuit recipe i made them tonight and they were awesome taste just like the ones my mom used to make will keep this recipe and use it as it is so much better then Bisquick from the box but I didn’t cut them out i just used my hands like my mom used to do and they were so easy.

61. Sapphire says

These biscuits have turned out great every time I make them with buttermilk and real butter – never shortening. I also put my flour in the freezer to keep it cold so the butter also stays cold and I get wonderful flaky layers that my Southern-born husband absolutely loves. I’m wondering today, if I could substitute some or all of the cold butter with cold bacon grease to give it a nice bacony flavor? Opinions?

62. Liz says

Tried to make them but the dough was very sticky. Could not knead because all it did was stick to my hands. Floured the surface, dough, and my hands. Followed the recipe word for word, step by step. Ended up throwing it away.

63. Chad Ashabranner says

First time i ever made biscuits from scratch and they came out really, really good. We had them for breakfast with grape jelly, fresh eggs from the chickens we raise, bacon, and home made gravy from the bacon grease.My wife said they were better than Cracker Barrel biscuits. I think she just wants me to keep cooking, lol jk.I really dislike eating processed, ready-to-eat foods, so this website of made-from-scratch foods is awesome! I’ve been browsing your website and I look forward to using your other recipes and preparation techniques. thank you very much :)

Chad Ashabranner

64. says

Can you make them the night before ? Would be great for early morning breakfasts.
    Would love to serve to my guests.
    I live in Costa Rica and they don’t know what canned bisquits or crescent rolls are. I can manage without the biscuits but, really miss the crescent rolls. Use them for so many things.

Can’t wait to try and see if I can do this.

65. Adriana says

Is it 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder or 1 teaspoon ? Because in the ingredients it says 1 tablespoon & in the comments you said it was a teaspoon, please help!

66. Mersy says

Made these today with margarine instead and they still came out DELICIOUS! Thanks for the easy and quick recipe. I’ve been asked to make another batch ASAP, lol. Look forward to trying more of your recipes :)

67. Samantha says

Made these for supper tonight. They were probably the best I’ve ever eaten. I doubled the recipe for my large family and made 20 bicuits. I have never seen anything disappear so fast. Also, i used self rising flour (all i had) and omitted the baking powder, but still added a teaspoon of salt. Had to use the mixer to add butter because it was so much flour it woukd have taken forever with a fork. I brushed with milk before baking and they came out a perfect golden brown. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe, its already written down and put in my recipe box.

68. kmoore says

I needed biscuits for two, do I halved this recipe and made some tweaks to suit my taste. Substitutions: half shortening, half butter, buttermilk instead of milk. They turned out great, and my husband loved them. Made for great biscuits.

69. Tara says

We just finished Easter morning breakfast complete with homemade biscuits and gravy!! Can’t believe I have used store bought all these years when homemade is so easy and delicious! Thanks!

70. says

I made the homemade biscuits and they were good however I flatten them out too thin and made sum hard but it didn’t take away from the taste. I’m looking forward to trying more of your quick and easy recipes.

71. Angie says

I LOVE this recipe, is absolutely the best!! I lost this recipe and I tried a different one. It was the not that great. I’m so happy I found it again!!! I have made this for my family and they love them!!!

72. Chrysandra Anderson says

Hi, I was wondering if I could use self rising flour instead of all purpose without using baking soda, since it already has baking powder within.

Trackbacks