20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

I love these biscuits… they melt in your mouth!  Not only that but they take 20 minutes to make start to finish!!  Sure beats those tubes of biscuits you pick up in the refrigerated section at the grocery store… How fresh are those??  See any ingredients on the back you can’t even sound out???  And then compare to price for one tube to this recipe… Pennies on the dollar!

20 Minute Biscuits 013

Here’s what you’ll need:

2 cups flour

1 TBLS baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 TBLS sugar

1/3 cup shortening

1 cup milk

extra flour for the counter

Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees

If you like these… Try my Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

Looking for good breads??  My favorite is Amish White Bread

About these ads

About Sandy Meyer

I'm a wife and a mother of four, three rapidly growing boys and a little girl that has brought so much love to our family... (and a lot more pink around) I also am a local Real Estate Broker but my biggest job of all is Baking, Cooking, (cleaning) and Feeding this ever growing family (& friends) of mine! I'm guilty of posting some of my favorite goodies on my Facebook page... I'm always getting questions and requests so I thought why take a little extra time and take some pictures during the process and post them for all of you with the recipes so you can try them out with your family and friends!
This entry was posted in Bread and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

1. Pingback: Chicken Pasta Dinner | Scratch This with Sandy

2. Pingback: 1 Month Down and New Milestones to Reach! | Scratch This with Sandy

3. Reblogged this on Scratch This with Sandy and commented:

I made these the other night for dinner again… I’d be happy with just eating these for dinner they are soooo good!!! And not to mention… super fast!

4. Tina says:

Can I use butter instead of shortening?

5. janet says:

Do you use all purpose flour or self-rising flour

6. Laura says:

Can you use gluten free flour?

Liked by 1 person

• So I have not yet experienced with gluten free… I do how ever have a good friend that comes to town a couple times a month that has eaten gluten free for 3 years now… He asks me for gluten free all the time… So I’m definitely looking into it… I can’t tell ya one way or the other though right now?? I would definitely give it a try if I were you and maybe make some slight changes to keep the texture and consistency similar?!

7. Ruby ann cameron says:

My question also….can you use gluten free flour?

8. Paula Owens says:

Do you know what the adjustments are for high altitude baking? Over 8000 ft?

9. Rick Kelly says:

can I use self rising and leave out the baking soda for good results?

10. Kathy Elswick says:

Just a bit of buttermilk brushed on tops of biscuits before baking , will add a spectacular shine to them .

11. Debra R says:

I will try these. Look easy and good. Does anyone know the right amounts to make a honey butter spread for it?

12. Donna Lloyd says:

Might I be able to use some whole wheat flour? If so, how much?

13. Char Squires says:

Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening? I’m trying to get a little healthier these days. Thanks for the great recipe.

14. Georgie says:

Just to confirm, is that 1/3 cup of shortening?

15. t9s2b7 says:

Sure sounds good to me…. Gonna try it to-day…

16. gretchen ghivizzani says:

What about reheating? Do they reheat well? Or can you make the dough ahead of time? Just curious.

Liked by 1 person

• Gretchen… I’ve reheated mine the next day in the toaster oven! ( I don’t own a microwave) But I’ve turned the toaster oven to 225 and plopped them in there for 5 mins… MMM Ok I might have to make these again tonight for dinner now!! :)

17. Sandra says:

These look really yummy and easy to make.

18. Mary Havins says:

Awesome!! Easy and tasty

19. Beth says:

You must be superwoman if you can make these in 20 minutes start to finish when they cook for fifteen.

20. Chyk73 says:

I tried them with almond milk siance my lil guy can’t have regular milk & mixed them in my mixer cuz I have very bad arthritis in my hands. It was very easy to work with & not much rolling out which was nice! Only thing I noticed is mine didn’t get nice n brown on top like in the picture… not sure if its cuz of the milk or just the way my oven cooks :)
    Very tasty & big hit with a fussy 3 yr old!

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you for sharing!!! And if you make them again try brushing a lil almond milk on top of them before the go in the oven… that might help to get the brown tops :)
      Thanks again for sharing… So nice to see how versatile these biscuits can be!

21. Karen Stanley says:

I saw your biscuit recipe here, and did use the self rising flour leaving out the baking soda, it worked great, this is now my favorite recipe for biscuits, and with the tip it’s a lot easier to open also the biscuits, thanks so much.

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you Karen for SHARING!!! Good to know it can work with self rising! And I’m right there with you… as soon as I found this recipe (years ago) I still can’t remember where I found it?? It became my favorite go to recipe for biscuits! I love how fast they can be thrown together… everytime I think dinner is missing something… I whip these up!!
      Thanks again for sharing… I love hearing feedback… especially positive feedback :)

22. Pingback: Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits | Scratch This with Sandy

Let me know what you think... Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s