20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

I call these the 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits… I’ve made these countless times over the years … They are by far one of the fastest bread sides I’ve come across… and they can darn near be added to any meal!  I found these biscuits through allrecipes … and I’ve made them with both butter or shortening and they turn out perfect either way!

We love these biscuits… they melt in your mouth!  Not only that but they take 20 minutes to make from start to finish!!  Sure beats those tubes of biscuits you pick up in the refrigerated section at the grocery store…  How fresh are those??  See any ingredients on the back you can’t even sound out???  And then compare to price for one tube to this recipe… Pennies on the dollar!

Its a win win!!  :)

20 min homemade bisuits collage

20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

• Servings: 6-8
  • Time: 20 Minutes
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 TBLS baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 TBLS sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
  • 1 cup milk
  • extra flour for the counter
  1. Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease baking sheet.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.
  3. Cut in shortening to resemble coarse crumbs.
  4. Add 1/2 the milk and mix then add the remaining and mix.
  5. Put on floured surface and kneed 15-20 times.
  6. Pat out flat and cut out biscuits.
  7. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
  8. Brush with butter as they come out.

Follow pictures for a step by step tutorial and helpful tips  :) …

In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar

In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar

Cut in the shortening

Cut in the shortening

Should look a little something like this :-)

Should look a little something like this :-)

Add 1/2 your milk and mix

Add 1/2 your milk and mix

Then add the remaining milk and mix... Should be looking like this

Then add the remaining milk and mix…
Should be looking like this

Flour your surface and pull the dough out... Coat all sides with some flour and kneed about 15 to 20 times... do not over do it!

Flour your surface and pull the dough out…
Coat all sides with some flour and kneed about 15 to 20 times… do not over do it!

Should look a little something like this... Flatted it out in a rectangle with your hands

Should look a little something like this…
Flatted it out in a rectangle with your hands

Roll the rest out... Keep it a little on the thick side

Roll the rest out… Keep it a little on the thick side

Here's a good trick... Grab one end and fold it over...  That way when they are done its easy to cut them down the middle and open them up!

Here’s a good trick…
Grab one end and fold it over…

You could totally use a biscuit cutter and cut them out... But I just like to slice them so there no wasted dough at the end!

You could totally use a biscuit cutter and cut them out…
But I just like to slice them so there no wasted dough at the end!

Place on greased pan and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes

Place on greased pan and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes

Pull them out and let cool for a few minutes...

Pull them out and let cool for a few minutes…

20 minute biscuits

I like to brush some butter across the top… Makes them pretty! ;-)

Here is a couple pictures of cut out ones… sometimes I’ll shape them as hearts too ;)

If you like these… Try my Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits or 30 Minute Dinner Rolls

Looking for good breads??  My favorite is Amish White Bread and Easy French Bread

About these ads

About Sandy Meyer

I'm a wife and a mother of four, three rapidly growing boys and a little girl that has brought so much love to our family... (and a lot more pink around) I also am a local Real Estate Broker but my biggest job of all is Baking, Cooking, (cleaning) and Feeding this ever growing family (& friends) of mine! I'm guilty of posting some of my favorite goodies on my Facebook page... I'm always getting questions and requests so I thought why take a little extra time and take some pictures during the process and post them for all of you with the recipes so you can try them out with your family and friends!
This entry was posted in Bread and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

1. Pingback: Chicken Pasta Dinner | Scratch This with Sandy

2. Pingback: 1 Month Down and New Milestones to Reach! | Scratch This with Sandy

3. Reblogged this on Scratch This with Sandy and commented:

I made these the other night for dinner again… I’d be happy with just eating these for dinner they are soooo good!!! And not to mention… super fast!

4. Tina says:

Can I use butter instead of shortening?

5. janet says:

Do you use all purpose flour or self-rising flour

6. Laura says:

Can you use gluten free flour?

Liked by 1 person

• So I have not yet experienced with gluten free… I do how ever have a good friend that comes to town a couple times a month that has eaten gluten free for 3 years now… He asks me for gluten free all the time… So I’m definitely looking into it… I can’t tell ya one way or the other though right now?? I would definitely give it a try if I were you and maybe make some slight changes to keep the texture and consistency similar?!

7. Ruby ann cameron says:

My question also….can you use gluten free flour?

8. Paula Owens says:

Do you know what the adjustments are for high altitude baking? Over 8000 ft?

9. Rick Kelly says:

can I use self rising and leave out the baking soda for good results?

10. Kathy Elswick says:

Just a bit of buttermilk brushed on tops of biscuits before baking , will add a spectacular shine to them .

11. Debra R says:

I will try these. Look easy and good. Does anyone know the right amounts to make a honey butter spread for it?

12. Donna Lloyd says:

Might I be able to use some whole wheat flour? If so, how much?

13. Char Squires says:

Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening? I’m trying to get a little healthier these days. Thanks for the great recipe.

14. Georgie says:

Just to confirm, is that 1/3 cup of shortening?

15. t9s2b7 says:

Sure sounds good to me…. Gonna try it to-day…

16. gretchen ghivizzani says:

What about reheating? Do they reheat well? Or can you make the dough ahead of time? Just curious.

Liked by 1 person

• Gretchen… I’ve reheated mine the next day in the toaster oven! ( I don’t own a microwave) But I’ve turned the toaster oven to 225 and plopped them in there for 5 mins… MMM Ok I might have to make these again tonight for dinner now!! :)

17. Sandra says:

These look really yummy and easy to make.

18. Mary Havins says:

Awesome!! Easy and tasty

19. Beth says:

You must be superwoman if you can make these in 20 minutes start to finish when they cook for fifteen.

20. Chyk73 says:

I tried them with almond milk siance my lil guy can’t have regular milk & mixed them in my mixer cuz I have very bad arthritis in my hands. It was very easy to work with & not much rolling out which was nice! Only thing I noticed is mine didn’t get nice n brown on top like in the picture… not sure if its cuz of the milk or just the way my oven cooks :)
    Very tasty & big hit with a fussy 3 yr old!

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you for sharing!!! And if you make them again try brushing a lil almond milk on top of them before the go in the oven… that might help to get the brown tops :)
      Thanks again for sharing… So nice to see how versatile these biscuits can be!

21. Karen Stanley says:

I saw your biscuit recipe here, and did use the self rising flour leaving out the baking soda, it worked great, this is now my favorite recipe for biscuits, and with the tip it’s a lot easier to open also the biscuits, thanks so much.

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you Karen for SHARING!!! Good to know it can work with self rising! And I’m right there with you… as soon as I found this recipe (years ago) I still can’t remember where I found it?? It became my favorite go to recipe for biscuits! I love how fast they can be thrown together… everytime I think dinner is missing something… I whip these up!!
      Thanks again for sharing… I love hearing feedback… especially positive feedback :)

• Rita says:

How about the salt? Did you use it with the self rising flour?

22. Pingback: Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits | Scratch This with Sandy

23. Bellinda Ursula Kwirant says:

I always get excited when I see easy recipes, especially if its s/th my fussy husband loves from other recipes, So I will RUN now and try them out, right away, off I go…..SPEEEDO!!

24. Karen Stanley says:

These are the only biscuits I make now, so easy and my family loves them.

25. Pingback: Homemade Dinner Rolls | Scratch This with Sandy

26. Frank mcdonald says:

Buns tried out good

27. kymomma says:

I made these to go with dinner last night & they disappeared in minutes! I used butter instead of shortening & they turned out great! My 8-year-old daughter asked this morning if we’re having them again tonight, lol.

28. Stef says:

Delicious! I don’t think we can ever go back to canned biscuits ever again. So easy. Turned out perfectly my first try.

29. Pingback: 30 Minute Dinner Rolls | Scratch This with Sandy

30. Pingback: Amish White Bread | Scratch This with Sandy

31. kaspergrl says:

Reblogged this on 27 Shades of Eminence and commented:
    Living in the south, I think knowing how to make homemade biscuits is a a must!

32. MC says:

I wonder if you can make these with gluten free Bisquick? And if so would you leave the salt and baking powder out?

• I hate to say this but I’m a Bisquick hater … I haven’t had it around for almost 10 years now! But I would maybe try it out with Gluten Free flour? I’m not sure what you would want to leave out if using the Bisquick?

33. :( tried making these twice tonight and I did something wrong. first itme I used shortening. when that did work I tried it again with butter. they didn’t rise either time and were very dense. I used AP flour and followed the instructions. the flour was unbleached–would that have mattered. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

Liked by 1 person

• Oh no!! I made them tonight as well! Here’s two things I’m thinking… one are you doing a full Tablespoon of baking powder not teaspoon… two if you over kneed these that’s where it can go wrong! You just need to gently kneed it 10-15 times… Sorry your having problems!

34. Joyce Munroe says:

I’ve been trying to make biscuits for over 50 years, without exaggeration, finally this simple recipe worked for me. I am so impressed! I used skim milk plus I forgot to knead the dough and they were still wonderful, we had strawberry shortcake, what a treat. Thank you!

35. Gwendolyn Perryman says:

These biscuits has become a family favorite. They are quick and simple but makes me look let I have been working for hours. Love it.

36. Phillip says:

Use vegetable oil. Much quicker. Use a whisk to blend it in. Only use 1/4 cup. Canola is ok as is olive oil. Not EVO since flavor is too strong. Light olive oil is better. But to be true butter gives best flavor.

37. Pingback: Easy French Bread | Scratch This with Sandy

38. Victoria says:

These are amazing! I didn’t realize that you could use the same amount of butter as shortening so I experimented based on research I did on other biscuit recipes. I used a half cup of butter cut into cubes. The results were amazing! These are bookmarked and I may never buy biscuits again.

39. Pingback: 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits | Scratch This with Sandy

40. Christina says:

I found your blog/website last week and your recipes are amazing! Thank you for sharing such delicious recipes… my hubby is a happy man now ;).

41. Debbie coons says:

How many does one batch make?

Let me know what you think... Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s