Advertisements

20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

by on

I call these the 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits… I’ve made these countless times over the years … They are by far one of the quickest bread sides I’ve come across… and they can darn near be added to any meal!  I found these biscuits through allrecipes … and I’ve made them with both butter or shortening and they turn out perfect either way!

We love these biscuits… they melt in your mouth!  Not only that but they take 20 minutes to make from start to finish!!  Sure beats those tubes of biscuits you pick up in the refrigerated section at the grocery store…  How fresh are those??  See any ingredients on the back you can’t even sound out???  And then compare the price for one tube to this recipe… Pennies on the dollar!

Its a win win!!  🙂

20 Minute Biscuit Collage 680

Here is some great biscuit cutters to have around the house!  Great for Sugar Cookies too!

4.8 from 73 reviews

• 2¼ Cups Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • ⅓ cup Shortening or Butter
  • 1 cup Milk
  • extra flour for the counter
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Grease baking sheet.
  3. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl mix together.
  4. Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
  5. Add half the milk and mix, then add remaining milk and mix together.
  6. Put on floured surface and kneed gently 15-20 times.
  7. Pat out flat and cut out biscuits.
  8. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
  9. Brush tops with butter as they come out.

Follow pictures for a step by step tutorial and helpful tips  🙂 …

Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.
Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.
Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
Cut in shortening or butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
add half of the milk and mix
add half of the milk and mix
add remaining milk and mix together. Your dough should be sticky
add remaining milk and mix together. Your dough should be sticky
Plop it onto a well floured surface and gently kneed 15-20 times.
Plop it onto a well floured surface and gently kneed 15-20 times.
Should look about like this.
Should look about like this.
Flatten out about 1-2 inches thick and cut biscuits out. Or use this next trick...
Fold over ... So when you cut your biscuits open its easier!
Fold over … So when you cut your biscuits open its easier!
Cut biscuits with a knife to have no leftover or use a biscuit cutter.
Cut biscuits with a knife to have no leftover or use a biscuit cutter.
Place on greased baking sheet.
Place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
Brush with butter as they come out!
Brush with butter as they come out!
20 minute biscuits valentines1
I cut them into shapes for Valentines Day!

For Biscuits and Gravy… Try my easy Country Sausage Gravy recipe!!!

If you like these… Try my Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits or 30 Minute Dinner Rolls

Looking for good breads??  My favorite is Amish White Bread and Easy French Bread

I used this recipe in Homemade Chicken & Biscuits

Homemade Chicken and Biscuits680

Advertisements

You may also like

450 Comments
  1. scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Reblogged this on Scratch This with Sandy and commented:

I made these the other night for dinner again… I’d be happy with just eating these for dinner they are soooo good!!! And not to mention… super fast!

• Jennifer 4 years ago

I made the 20 minute biscuits they came out tasting very good. Thanks.

• Anonymous 3 years ago

Sandy it is a real pleasure to watch a mother ,show the love for her family that seams to be lost.i am 68years old and with your comments reflect my childhood with my mon ,you are refreshing and just maid my day. Thank you. Good person?

Thank you!!!

• Choral 3 years ago

It was wonderful thank you! But I’m afraid I did something wrong as mine did not puff up. What did I do wrong? Still hearty, quick, and tasty though!

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Your baking powder may be bad… Or you may have over kneaded it… That’s my two guesses!

• Anonymous 2 years ago

Mine too I think I had 2 much flour ad they were too soft to work with

• Michelle 3 years ago

These were awesome!!! Easy recipe! My husband is on his third right now. Thank so much for blessing us with this recipe! ❤️

2. Tina 5 years ago

Can I use butter instead of shortening?

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Yes you can… Just make sure the butter is cold, cut it into small chunks and cut it! 🙂

• Anonymous 4 years ago

Yes you can i was wondering the same thing when you are looking at the the recipe it says shorting or butter

3. janet 5 years ago

Do you use all purpose flour or self-rising flour

4. Laura 5 years ago

Can you use gluten free flour?

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

So I have not yet experienced with gluten free… I do how ever have a good friend that comes to town a couple times a month that has eaten gluten free for 3 years now… He asks me for gluten free all the time… So I’m definitely looking into it… I can’t tell ya one way or the other though right now?? I would definitely give it a try if I were you and maybe make some slight changes to keep the texture and consistency similar?!

5. Ruby ann cameron 5 years ago

My question also….can you use gluten free flour?

• Audrey B. 3 years ago

GF baking is tricky- I would use a GF baking mix- King Arthur makes a good one now that I can find in Wal Mart. It has the appropriate amount of leaveners (baking soda, salt, etc) as well as Xanthan Gum added, a necessary ingredient when baking GF that lots of GF flours do not have already (it is a binding thing). The trick with baking GF is to let it rest- the grains are much coarser than regular gluten flour, and it takes a while for them to absorb the liquids. The thicker the batter, the longer the rest- ie- cookies should rest at least a couple of hours, up to 24. Cake batter, since the liquid is runnier, should rest about 20 min before you put it in the oven. My guess with biscuits is to let them rest about 30 min in the refrigerator.

But this is an awesome gluten-full recipe! Thanks!

• Greggory Simpson 3 years ago

TOO AWESOME! Video! !

6. Paula Owens 5 years ago

Do you know what the adjustments are for high altitude baking? Over 8000 ft?

7. Rick Kelly 5 years ago

can I use self rising and leave out the baking soda for good results?

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

I never have… but it wouldn’t hurt to try!

• Bball Mom 4 years ago

I just made these using self-rising flour and baking powder, came out fine! Kids loved it; they asked if I was trying to copy Cracker Barrel, lol! I made buttermilk using 1 cup of milk and 1 tbs of white vinegar. I’ll have to use about 3/4 cups of buttermilk in order for the dough to be less wet for kneading. Maybe that’s because of the flour I used. Either way, I like this recipe, hope this helped. Thanks Sandy for sharing!

8. Kathy Elswick 5 years ago

Just a bit of buttermilk brushed on tops of biscuits before baking , will add a spectacular shine to them .

9. Debra R 5 years ago

I will try these. Look easy and good. Does anyone know the right amounts to make a honey butter spread for it?

10. Donna Lloyd 5 years ago

Might I be able to use some whole wheat flour? If so, how much?

• James Deuel 5 years ago

Whole wheat flour is heavier than regular flour. I’d suggest putting two generous TBSP of cornstarch in the bottom of each cup when you measure your flour to compensate.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

I have tried it with 1/2 whole wheat flour before… they don’t rise as well… but did turn out… not as fluffy though 🙂

11. Char Squires 5 years ago

Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening? I’m trying to get a little healthier these days. Thanks for the great recipe.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

I’ve made them with cold butter before … the shortening one turns out the best… Is the coconut oil in liquid form? may not turn out?

• Lou Gagne 5 years ago

Think if you use coconut oil that you would refrigerate it first, then add as you would butter or shortening. Haven’t tried it yet, but is a good idea too. Will change the taste a bit.

12. Georgie 5 years ago

Just to confirm, is that 1/3 cup of shortening?

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Thank you Georgie… Took the s off the end of cup 🙂 Yes 1/3 cup shortening!

• Georgie 5 years ago

Thanks Sandy. I wasn’t trying to point out the error but where I’m obviously not into baking had no idea! I think I will try these… looks easy. Thanks!

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

I appreciate the call out (truly) 😀 I try to proof read it myself … but I don’t always catch the little ones!!! Thanks again… and try them out… if you like biscuits… you’ll love these!!

13. t9s2b7 5 years ago

Sure sounds good to me…. Gonna try it to-day…

14. gretchen ghivizzani 5 years ago

What about reheating? Do they reheat well? Or can you make the dough ahead of time? Just curious.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Gretchen… I’ve reheated mine the next day in the toaster oven! ( I don’t own a microwave) But I’ve turned the toaster oven to 225 and plopped them in there for 5 mins… MMM Ok I might have to make these again tonight for dinner now!! 🙂

15. Sandra 5 years ago

These look really yummy and easy to make.

16. Mary Havins 5 years ago

Awesome!! Easy and tasty

17. Beth 5 years ago

You must be superwoman if you can make these in 20 minutes start to finish when they cook for fifteen.

• Beth 5 years ago

Okay, okay, they were very easy and excellent picture instructions. Thank you. They are awesome. I’ve never made a good biscuit. These are light and delicious. Thanks for the recipe. 🙂

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Thanks Beth!!! They really are super easy! and in my opinion super yummy!!! Glad you tried them and thanks for sharing!!! 😀

18. Chyk73 5 years ago

I tried them with almond milk siance my lil guy can’t have regular milk & mixed them in my mixer cuz I have very bad arthritis in my hands. It was very easy to work with & not much rolling out which was nice! Only thing I noticed is mine didn’t get nice n brown on top like in the picture… not sure if its cuz of the milk or just the way my oven cooks 🙂
    Very tasty & big hit with a fussy 3 yr old!

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Thank you for sharing!!! And if you make them again try brushing a lil almond milk on top of them before the go in the oven… that might help to get the brown tops 🙂
      Thanks again for sharing… So nice to see how versatile these biscuits can be!

19. Karen Stanley 5 years ago

I saw your biscuit recipe here, and did use the self rising flour leaving out the baking soda, it worked great, this is now my favorite recipe for biscuits, and with the tip it’s a lot easier to open also the biscuits, thanks so much.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Thank you Karen for SHARING!!! Good to know it can work with self rising! And I’m right there with you… as soon as I found this recipe (years ago) I still can’t remember where I found it?? It became my favorite go to recipe for biscuits! I love how fast they can be thrown together… everytime I think dinner is missing something… I whip these up!!
      Thanks again for sharing… I love hearing feedback… especially positive feedback 🙂

• Amber 2 years ago

I had a friend that would make strawberry shortcakes with biscuits (I like it with angel food). Just sugar on fresh chopped strawberries stirred and let sit to make its own syrup poured over the biscuit and top with whipped cream. Yum! I’m personally a sausage, biscuits, and gravy kinda person but the chicken and biscuits are soooo good, too! ? also biscuits with honey, biscuits with butter and apricot preserves! ? biscuits pretty much go good with anything! I’m looking forward to trying this recipe, thanks for sharing! ?

• Rita 5 years ago

How about the salt? Did you use it with the self rising flour?

20. Bellinda Ursula Kwirant 5 years ago

I always get excited when I see easy recipes, especially if its s/th my fussy husband loves from other recipes, So I will RUN now and try them out, right away, off I go…..SPEEEDO!!

21. Karen Stanley 5 years ago

These are the only biscuits I make now, so easy and my family loves them.

22. Frank mcdonald 5 years ago

Buns tried out good

23. kymomma 5 years ago

I made these to go with dinner last night & they disappeared in minutes! I used butter instead of shortening & they turned out great! My 8-year-old daughter asked this morning if we’re having them again tonight, lol.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing… I just love hearing the feedback! We love these biscuits… I whip them up all the time because of how quick they are!!

24. Stef 5 years ago

Delicious! I don’t think we can ever go back to canned biscuits ever again. So easy. Turned out perfectly my first try.

25. kaspergrl 5 years ago

Reblogged this on 27 Shades of Eminence and commented:
    Living in the south, I think knowing how to make homemade biscuits is a a must!

26. MC 5 years ago

I wonder if you can make these with gluten free Bisquick? And if so would you leave the salt and baking powder out?

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

I hate to say this but I’m a Bisquick hater … I haven’t had it around for almost 10 years now! But I would maybe try it out with Gluten Free flour? I’m not sure what you would want to leave out if using the Bisquick?

27. Ashley Revis Floyd 5 years ago

🙁 tried making these twice tonight and I did something wrong. first itme I used shortening. when that did work I tried it again with butter. they didn’t rise either time and were very dense. I used AP flour and followed the instructions. the flour was unbleached–would that have mattered. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Oh no!! I made them tonight as well! Here’s two things I’m thinking… one are you doing a full Tablespoon of baking powder not teaspoon… two if you over kneed these that’s where it can go wrong! You just need to gently kneed it 10-15 times… Sorry your having problems!

• Debbie King 4 years ago

Mine were tasty but were dense or “heavy” as my grandma would have said. Checked the recipe I followed it to a tee. Any suggestions? Can your baking powder get old or go bad, and how can you tell.

• Regina 3 years ago

I have found that when you cut out the biscuits with a cutter, do not twist the cutter. Just push straight down. Twisting the cutter actually seals the edges to an extent and helps to prevent them rising as high as possible and getting those lovely areas of air that makes the “layers”. I have done them both ways as a means of testing this theory. Try it out next time you make biscuits from scratch! I have tried this recipe and the biscuits are good. I used AP flour and baked them for 18 mins for that perfect brown color and omitted the butter glaze at the end. They were good.

• Christine 3 years ago

Yes baking powder can go bad.. to check for freshness add 1 teaspoon baking powder to 1/3 cup hot water and mix – test only works with hot water as baking powder is activated by heat – if lots of bubbles form then your powder is good, if there are no or only minimal bubbles then you need to buy new.

28. Joyce Munroe 5 years ago

I’ve been trying to make biscuits for over 50 years, without exaggeration, finally this simple recipe worked for me. I am so impressed! I used skim milk plus I forgot to knead the dough and they were still wonderful, we had strawberry shortcake, what a treat. Thank you!

29. Gwendolyn Perryman 5 years ago

These biscuits has become a family favorite. They are quick and simple but makes me look let I have been working for hours. Love it.

30. Phillip 5 years ago

Use vegetable oil. Much quicker. Use a whisk to blend it in. Only use 1/4 cup. Canola is ok as is olive oil. Not EVO since flavor is too strong. Light olive oil is better. But to be true butter gives best flavor.

• Cat 4 years ago

I will try a batch with oil, see how it turns out, because I am a bit low on butter & shortening right now and want to make 2 batches. I may put shredded cheddar in these ones and some seasoned herb blend, and have the other ones plain with butter.

31. Victoria 5 years ago

These are amazing! I didn’t realize that you could use the same amount of butter as shortening so I experimented based on research I did on other biscuit recipes. I used a half cup of butter cut into cubes. The results were amazing! These are bookmarked and I may never buy biscuits again.

• scratchthiswithsandy 5 years ago

Yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed them Victoria!!! They are a favorite around here!!! You’ll have to try the 30 min dinner rolls too!!! My Husband LOVES those!

32. Christina 4 years ago

I found your blog/website last week and your recipes are amazing! Thank you for sharing such delicious recipes… my hubby is a happy man now ;).

33. Debbie coons 4 years ago

How many does one batch make?

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

Depends on what you use to cut… If you use a standard 3 inch biscuit cutter if will pull off 8-10

34. Stephani Morrison 4 years ago

Tried these tonight!! My first time ever making biscuits 100% from scratch! I’ve done the frozen biscuits in a bag (Mary B’s are really good, but occasionally don’t rise like they should) & of course the mix in a bag types where you just add the wet ingredients. I actually doubled the recipe & simply placed globs of the dough on a cookie sheet by hand & they were delicious! !! I got 12 big biscuits out of it & cooked them a few minutes longer than the 15 called for to get the tops golden brown. We had family over for dinner & everyone LOVED them…..I even got several great compliments including “these are the best biscuits I’ve ever had!” So glad I found this the other day…will be doing these a lot!!! Every biscuit was devoured tonight & my son wants them for breakfast!!!! THANK YOU!!! 🙂 🙂

35. Cat 4 years ago

I am trying these at high altitude. I didn’t really make much adjustment of anything. It’s my first time baking at higher altitude as I’m from the Midwest, but now in the Rockies. I had the flour in the freezer to have it cold, cut in cold butter (which I could have made the crumb texture a bit more fine), and I used buttermilk as I have a southern-born husband raised on buttermilk biscuits. Husband says they are great, so we will be having these again!!

36. Patricia 4 years ago

I just finished making ( and eating ) them. It was my first ever try at making biscuits. They where easy to make and really yummy. i topped it with a bit of sausage gravey. I will definatly be making these again.

37. Lindsay 4 years ago

I am drooling at my desk! Those looks absolutely amazing!! I wonder how they would turn out if I used almond milk

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

I would try it… I think someone already has and commented about it a few months back?? Just make sure your consistency looks like its matching the pictures!

38. joanncrohn 4 years ago

I’m going to pin this recipe. I usually buy biscuits out of a can and I have not been happy with the result :/

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

Please do!! I think you’ll be impressed and never go back to the cans!!! Plus who knows what they put in those things to have them keep for so long 😉 Homemade is the best!

39. Chelsea 4 years ago

Yum! My mom always used to make something really similar to these when I was a kid. I love them!

40. Brooklyn Jolley 4 years ago

Yummy! What an awesome step by step post this is.

41. Maryann Peik 4 years ago

Looks delicious! Now I need some homemade jam to go along with these and I will be set!

42. mishka824m 4 years ago

Okay, love this recipe, but what I really love is the pictures. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time for that! So often I’m making something and I’m looking down at it like ‘Um…I *think* it’s supposed to look like that??’. So thank you!!

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

Thank you! And I’m right there with you… I’m a total visual person… if I can’t see how it gets done then I get a little stumped and question myself! But I love to bake and cook … I feel like I can learn new things all the time as long as I let my guard down and go for it!!!
      🙂

43. Taneja's Bride 4 years ago

Who doesn’t love biscuits! Yum yum. These look delicious! <3

44. kancell724 4 years ago

These look so good. I love biscuits!

45. Kschattner 4 years ago

Yum! Who doesn’t love a good homemade side??

46. Oh yum! I love having biscuits and gravy… or just biscuits! haha! Thank you for this!

47. love love love homemade biscuits! Especially how the house smells while they’re baking… and then when they are fresh with a bit of jam… yummm!!

48. betsy mitchell 4 years ago

Nothing beats homemade biscuits!

49. christenwypy 4 years ago

There is nothing like homemade biscuits. They are nice and easy too.

50. This is so funny, In England we call these scones! We traditionally eat them with a cup of tea, clotted cream and some homemade strawberry jam! I’ve never heard them being called biscuits! Biscuits are flat little things that crunch when you bite them – like cookies!

These have such a great rise on them! Will definitely be trying your recipe to see if they taste any different to scones!

Katie <3

51. Homemade biscuits are the best! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

52. L 4 years ago

Ooooooh salivating already, my mum is a queen maker of biscuits. Those look delicious and tasty.

53. Just 20 minutes? Yum Yum! I need to make these ASAP!

54. teamwiking 4 years ago

These do look super easy! My mom loves to make biscuits but she uses bisquick all the time. -.-

55. Jenn @ hellorigby! 4 years ago

These look delicious! And only 20 minutes?! Impressive.

56. Lynette 4 years ago

I love home made biscuits, thank you for this receipt

57. Alyssa 4 years ago

These look so good! Thanks for the recipe!! i’m excited to try it!

58. neelykins1 4 years ago

LOve me some biscuits!

59. These look so tasty!

60. Jess 4 years ago

Yum! I’ll have to save your recipe, my fiance is obsessed with biscuits and gravy and he gets it every time we go out for breakfast! This would be so fun to make at home for him!

61. Deidre 4 years ago

These look great! I love all things bread,

62. 20 minutes?! That’s so fast!

63. Raewyn 4 years ago

Yum! I have never made homemade bread before, but I don’t think you can beat 20 minute biscuits.

64. Sandy M 4 years ago

Fall is my most favorite season & when the first hint of cold starts there is nothing like the smell of any type of home made breads and anyone who comes by knows what you are baking.Thanx for this new recipe I will try tonite!!!!!!SANDY M.

65. erica 4 years ago

What type of flour are you using? All purpose or self rising?

66. Jenny 4 years ago

Your recipe was a hit! they were amazing! so easy and delicious!

67. jay 4 years ago

I accidentally used 1tbsp of salt instead of 1tsp. Damn biscuits came out looking amazing and fluffy but too Damn salty. Can’t wait to do it right next time

68. Ashley 4 years ago

This is awesome! I can’t wait to make these!

69. becomingawisewoman 4 years ago

Just tried these tonight and were fantastic! Took me 30 mins because I had toddler interruptions, buy still so easy and overall quick. I actually used a small heart shaped cookie cutter to make small portions and put them in for ten mins. Perfection! These are going to be used weekly!

70. Lillian 4 years ago

The dough is unworkable it’s so moist that it just sticks to yor hands no matter how much flour you use this recipe is not great so far

71. Anita Kamaitis 4 years ago

Yummi

72. Candy 4 years ago

awesome..just tried them out..so simple and yummy:)

73. Annmarie mORENO 4 years ago

I haven’t made biscuits in years, just because I couldn’t find the right texture for the dough. they came out beautiful and I am just sitting here waiting for them to be done and to dig in. Thank you very much for such an easy recipe.

74. Brandi 4 years ago

Never tried making homemade rolls before last nite. Huge hit! My father asked that I make employer @least once a week! Thank you.

75. Brandi 4 years ago

Stupid auto correct, that I make them @least once a week! I am so proud of myself lol

76. Kirsten 4 years ago

Yummo!!! I was leery of this recipe because it seemed too easy to be true…. but I was wrong!! These were super easy to make and ridiculously delicious! I made them to go with a recipe for chicken pot pie stew. It was perfect!

77. Ashley 4 years ago

I can’t get the flour to clump up with the shortening!! Help!

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

You could try putting it in the mixer and use a whisk… Or try with softened butter… I use my fork and cut it in!

• Al 4 years ago

I make biscuits like these all the time. The easiest way to incorporate the butter is to freeze it first and then use a box (or other type) grater to grate it directly into the flour mixture and then just give it a quick stir. . Easier and more efficient than cutting in, and frozen butter works best in recipes like this. Makes the finished product very fluffy.

78. melissa 4 years ago

Thank u for sharing. Mine turned out very tasty and went great with our roast. I won’t be buying store biscuits again! 🙂

79. Aws 4 years ago

Important to use a sharp cutter so your biscuits can rise while baking. Thank you for the easy peasy biscuit recipe 🙂

80. Bren 4 years ago

I used the same recipe for years and then due to health, didn’t bake. Imagine my dismay, when I started baking again that my biscuits wouldn’t turn out and were too dry. I had purchased a new colorful set of measuring cups to match my kitchen. After the fifth failed attempt, I found the one cup measure actually held almost 1 1/4 cups of flour! If your biscuits fail…check your measuring cups.

81. lesley 4 years ago

Awesome recipe

82. louisa 4 years ago

these were fantastic , so easy and liked the idea of seeing it being done step by step. I made them really thick and cut them in half and put a slice of ham and cheese on them !. WOW was it delicious. Thank you

83. louisa 4 years ago

Oh forgot , I used coconut oil in these tasty biscuits

84. Very Happy Chef ! 4 years ago

Every time I have tried to make tea biscuits they have never turned out until now. These were light, fluffy, golden and delishous! Very easy and fast to make, thank you for sharing ! ! !

85. Very Happy Chef ! 4 years ago

Darn spell correct, meant to say delicious!

86. bill 4 years ago

been looking for a good biscuit recipe to try. This is like those my mom made many years back. I used butter and they turned out great.

87. Denise 4 years ago

These are amazing! The first batch I had too much flour on my board so they were a bit dusty and dry. lol The second batch was amazing and i added buttermilk and im so excited to add some shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese next time. mmmmmm Thank you so much for sharing.

88. Cyndi 4 years ago

I made these and they are delicious!

89. Meagan 4 years ago

Made these yesterday, not sure what happened but the dough was dry and they turned out kinda hard!! Going to give another try since it was my first time making homemade biscutts .

• Dougie 4 years ago

try not to work the dough to much

90. mandi 4 years ago

Was wondering does it need to be self-rising or all purpose flour

91. linsay 4 years ago

I don’t know what I did wrong! I followed every step but it was near imposible to kneed this dough. I stuck to everything all over my hands. Finally just dropped it onto to baking sheet in 5 lumpy rounds, so will see how it bakes! Lol

92. Renee' Lizana 4 years ago

I am 12 years old and I made the biscuits today for my grandparents and myself. The instructions were easy to follow and kneading the dough was pretty easy to. The turned out great and delicious!

• linsay 4 years ago

Did you add extra flower? My dough was not dry enough. I’m wondering if it is cause I used butter instead of shortening and milk substitute. They still came out good just weirdly shaped.

• mandi 4 years ago

use extra flour, flour your hands too makes it alot easier and i used self-rising cause then u don’t have to worry about baking soda came out great

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

That could of changed it. Just toss a little extra flour in… It should be a little sticky when you move it to the counter… and kneed it into that flour as well.

• Melinda 4 years ago

a cook once told me when making biscuits the dough should be wet and then kneed then on a well floured counter top. she is right……………………….

• Cat 4 years ago

Linsay, I always use real butter, never shortening. I always use whole milk or buttermilk. The dough is supposed to be kind of wet, then dumped onto a floured board and add flour as you knead/fold it. Mine always turn out perfect that way. I gently shape the dough into a somewhat small rectangle/square, and cut them with a cutter, never twisting the cutter, push it straight down. Perfect beautiful round flaky biscuits every time. The final scraps molded into the last biscuit are funky looking, though.

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

Thanks Cat! Yes the dough should be sticky when you move it to the counter… And gently knead do not over do it! I’d say try again Linsay!

Love hearing that! 😉

93. debbie howell 4 years ago

We love everything we have tried from your site. My finance made your french bread today. Just pulled it from the oven. Smells and looks great!!! Not a morning goes by without fresh biscuits anymore. Love ya… keep it up

94. jiimedale 4 years ago

OMG, I have not had briskets like this scene I was a boy in Arkansas. Mama use to make’em just like this but she just did it all in the top of the flower sack except folding it out on an enamel counter by the stove. All I need now is a fried chunk of salt pork and I’ll be back home.

95. Janis 4 years ago

I made these for the fam yesterday and they loved them. My husband rarely eats biscuits and he really enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing!

96. Tiffany 4 years ago

These were so simple and came out great! I did have to add a little more milk to get the right consistency and buttered the typos a few time before they were done. Yummy!

97. Kenzie 4 years ago

I usually hate working with dough, but this recipe is super easy and quick. They came out perfect! The second time i made them, added cheese, garlic and oregano, and that’s now a family favorite.

98. Phil 4 years ago

I tripled the sugar, added 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and folded in raisins to make cinnamon raisin biscuits. I brushed with butter then drizzled a vanilla glaze on them. Super yummy!

99. Jo Anne 4 years ago

My Grandmother was known for her biscuits that she made every morning. They had a farm so seems like there was a jar of “clabbered” milk on the counter over night. She also had a square 8×8 black metal pan that she put grease in to melt in the oven. When she placed the biscuits in the pan she ran them thru the hot grease and then turned them over. No one has this recipe of course!

100. Jean 4 years ago

Shall make this.

101. These were super easy, quick, and fluffy. I left out sugar, and added melted local honey (1 tbsp) between the milk additions. I used butter and almond milk. Overall, very easy to do. Thanks!

102. Lindsey 4 years ago

I made these this morning, they were so tasty! Just perfect. And the dough took less than 5 minutes to make. I was a little scepticle to make homemade biscuits because I always buy the prepackaged ones and it sounded like a lot of work. but I don’t plan on going back, the taste and price of making these is so much better! Thanks for sharing

103. Attagrrl87 4 years ago

I found this recipe and whipped it up in no time! My biscuits tasted great but they didnt rise and look fluffy like the ones in the picture. I used regular flour and baking powder. Did you use self-rising flour to get them so fluffy?

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

no i just use AP… I’ve noticed when I use my smaller biscuit cutter then end up taller and fluffier!

• Regina 3 years ago

Try NOT twisting the cutter, just push straight down. You’ll get better results on the rise and “layers”.

104. Eva Lee 4 years ago

Thanks! These were a lifesaver…. I make dinner for my 3 sibling 3 times a week. Each one of them likes different food and finding something they all will eat is an endless challenge. I had already made carrots for one of my siblings, chicken in BBQ sauce for another and had a third sibling throwing a temper tantrum… I quickly found your recipe and whipped it up… and to my great joy all 3 of my siblings and me loved them!!! I will have to make these more often.

105. Cheryl 4 years ago

Made these today for first time with my 2yr old easy to make didnt look like the picture but tasted great will make them again

106. Shamayam 4 years ago

I lost my old homemade biscuit recipe and came upon this one. I just pulled them out the oven and they taste AMAZING! I used coconut oil instead of butter or shortening, and ran out of my 2% milk half way through, so I used half 2% and half unsweetened vanilla almond milk. They taste so good, better than my old recipe. This one is for the books. Also, my dough was really wet so I made sure the surface, hands, and dough were well floured. That got it to a soft dough.

107. sakthi 4 years ago

very easy recipe. tried it but used white flour did ‘ nt turn out how i thought it would taste

108. Jeni80 4 years ago

Made these tonight, and WOW! So good! This recipe is a keeper…thank you so much! 🙂

109. Susan Garretson 4 years ago

Made these tonight. They taste great, but I ended up having to add extra milk and they didn’t rise very much. I used a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening. What did I do wrong?

• Virginia 4 years ago

Hi. I tried these tonight and the Taste is awesome but Mine didn’t rise very much. I use my Kitchen Aid Stand mixer to make the dough and I can only think maybe It over Needed it. I’ll try again, the old fashion way.. By hand. They were good enough that I’m gonna double the batch once I get it right with the rise.

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

the mixer was probaly too much for them! I alwaus make these in a bowl with just a fork… and only kneed them on the counter 10 times or less!

110. Robin 4 years ago

Easy & awesome…I have never been able to do biscuits well but tried this & now I am making almost daily becasue my family loves them. Lots of kuddos from all as they biten into the moist & soft flavorfull biscuit. Thanks so much! Follow the recipe exactly…I used skim milk because that is what we buy still great!

111. Nancy (@spiffykerms) 4 years ago

Preeeeeetty sure I need to make these this weekend.

112. Cara (@StylishGeek) 4 years ago

Only 20 mins. to make? That’s fantastic! I’m definitely making them and bookmarking this recipe! Thanks for sharing 🙂

113. Jeanine 4 years ago

Wow these look really delicious. Easy too.i may give these a try tonight! Yum

114. Maryann 4 years ago

Looks delicious and easy! Thanks for the recipe– will give it a try!

115. Andi 4 years ago

I am TOTALLY going to make these and impress my hubby. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

116. These are so simple! I didn’t know I could make my own so easily! Thank you!

117. These look great! I adore biscuits with sweet or savory dishes!

118. yaitza 4 years ago

my hubby and son absolutely love biscuits… I have to admit that whenever I want to treat them with some, I go for the frozen kind since, I usually only have coconut flour and almond flour at home… this looks so simple and one that my hubby can pop out whenever he craves it ;o)

119. cosmosmariners 4 years ago

I love homemade biscuits! I haven’t ever made this version, but I do make a version that only has two ingredients (self-rising flour and whipping cream) that’s pretty much fool-proof. I’ll have to give these a try and see how they compare! 🙂

120. Shelly 4 years ago

wish I could eat gluten these look amazing!

121. Michelle Snow 4 years ago

yummy! Biscuits are one of my favorite things. So flaky and delicious. I am always looking for a good recipe for them.

122. Talmadge S. Bradley 4 years ago

Please let these be as good as they look, and make it easy for me to find this recipe again.

123. Kyla Currier 4 years ago

These look amazing! I hope they taste as good as they look!

124. This is crazy! What an interesting recipe. When they’re round, we call them scones but I’ve never seen them served with chicken in a dish. That’s genius!

Katie <3

125. Beth@FrugalFroggie 4 years ago

I never thought about folding them over. What a great trick!!

126. Melissa G 4 years ago

I made these this morning with my 5 year old. Super easy! I had never made rolled out biscuits before (just drop biscuits because I am lazy and afraid of my rolling pin), but these were awesome, and as it turns out, not hard to flatten and cut (I just used my hands)! Totally making these again.

127. Debbie 4 years ago

Looks good and easy to make too.

128. Taya 4 years ago

These biscuits were so delicious! So easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. I will never buy biscuits again! And they stayed pretty moist for at least 2-3 days! Making them again for breakfast today!

129. Beth 4 years ago

These were super easy and quick to make! The family loved them! Can you freeze the dough?

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

You should be able tp freeze it! I suggest getting it to cut put biscuits and the freezing it.

• Beth 4 years ago

Thanks! We won’t be buying store bought again!

130. scsurfbutler 4 years ago

Hi there, I wanted to make biscuits and gravy this morning and your biscuit recipe was my choice and it was a good choice. Easy to follow instructions and bam I got biscuits. Thanks for the recipe.

131. Doris Periman 4 years ago

I have to tell Thank you for a wonderful biscuit recipe i made them tonight and they were awesome taste just like the ones my mom used to make will keep this recipe and use it as it is so much better then Bisquick from the box but I didn’t cut them out i just used my hands like my mom used to do and they were so easy.

132. Sapphire 4 years ago

These biscuits have turned out great every time I make them with buttermilk and real butter – never shortening. I also put my flour in the freezer to keep it cold so the butter also stays cold and I get wonderful flaky layers that my Southern-born husband absolutely loves. I’m wondering today, if I could substitute some or all of the cold butter with cold bacon grease to give it a nice bacony flavor? Opinions?

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

I would say try it! Sounds like a good idea to me

• Sapphire 4 years ago

I will fry up more bacon this weekend, maybe go half & half with butter & grease. Maybe split the batch of dough to put cheese in some. I will report back and let you know how they turn out for flavor. But, hey, it’s bacon, how can it go wrong, right!?!?!?!?!!!

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

That’s right!! We love bacon… I’m usually at the butcher twice a month stalking up!!

133. Liz 4 years ago

Tried to make them but the dough was very sticky. Could not knead because all it did was stick to my hands. Floured the surface, dough, and my hands. Followed the recipe word for word, step by step. Ended up throwing it away.

134. Nasya Acosta 4 years ago

Those look amazing! I love biscuits.
    Turquoise and Tortoiseshells

135. Chad Ashabranner 4 years ago

First time i ever made biscuits from scratch and they came out really, really good. We had them for breakfast with grape jelly, fresh eggs from the chickens we raise, bacon, and home made gravy from the bacon grease.My wife said they were better than Cracker Barrel biscuits. I think she just wants me to keep cooking, lol jk.I really dislike eating processed, ready-to-eat foods, so this website of made-from-scratch foods is awesome! I’ve been browsing your website and I look forward to using your other recipes and preparation techniques. thank you very much 🙂

Chad Ashabranner

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

Thanks Chad for the comment!! I’m right there with you on the processed foods! Hope you enjoy some of my other recipes! They have all been tested by my family!

136. marshawaddelow57 4 years ago

Can you make them the night before ? Would be great for early morning breakfasts.
    Would love to serve to my guests.
    I live in Costa Rica and they don’t know what canned bisquits or crescent rolls are. I can manage without the biscuits but, really miss the crescent rolls. Use them for so many things.

Can’t wait to try and see if I can do this.

• scratchthiswithsandy 4 years ago

If there is any leftovers I usually eat then for breakfast the next day and they still taste great!

137. Those look delicious and I love how easy they would be to make! Thanks so much for sharing!

138. Adriana 4 years ago

Is it 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder or 1 teaspoon ? Because in the ingredients it says 1 tablespoon & in the comments you said it was a teaspoon, please help!

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Its Tablespoon! I’ll go correct now! Sorry for any confusion!

• Elizabeth 4 years ago

Hi Sandy. Will these work with cheese sprinkled in the mix? Or is this a sweeter biscuit recipe? Thanks:)

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

I’ve totally made them with cheese before! I loved them the kids thought I was weird! Add the cheese just before you add the milk!

139. Alicia 4 years ago

Thanks for this recipe. I have been looking for a while for a quick tasty biscuit recipe. This does the trick!

140. Mersy 4 years ago

Made these today with margarine instead and they still came out DELICIOUS! Thanks for the easy and quick recipe. I’ve been asked to make another batch ASAP, lol. Look forward to trying more of your recipes 🙂

141. Samantha 4 years ago

Made these for supper tonight. They were probably the best I’ve ever eaten. I doubled the recipe for my large family and made 20 bicuits. I have never seen anything disappear so fast. Also, i used self rising flour (all i had) and omitted the baking powder, but still added a teaspoon of salt. Had to use the mixer to add butter because it was so much flour it woukd have taken forever with a fork. I brushed with milk before baking and they came out a perfect golden brown. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe, its already written down and put in my recipe box.

142. Nicole 4 years ago

Mine came out flat and hard. 🙁 very tasty still but what did I do wrong?

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

You may have over kneaded it?sont give up on them! Try them again!

143. kmoore 4 years ago

I needed biscuits for two, do I halved this recipe and made some tweaks to suit my taste. Substitutions: half shortening, half butter, buttermilk instead of milk. They turned out great, and my husband loved them. Made for great biscuits.

144. Angie 4 years ago

I had never made biscuits from scratch. This recipe was amazing!!! My family loved them!

145. Tara 4 years ago

We just finished Easter morning breakfast complete with homemade biscuits and gravy!! Can’t believe I have used store bought all these years when homemade is so easy and delicious! Thanks!

146. Stephanie 4 years ago

This is my now my favorite biscuit recipe. Thank you for sharing!!

147. glinda 4 years ago

I made the homemade biscuits and they were good however I flatten them out too thin and made sum hard but it didn’t take away from the taste. I’m looking forward to trying more of your quick and easy recipes.

148. Angie 4 years ago

I LOVE this recipe, is absolutely the best!! I lost this recipe and I tried a different one. It was the not that great. I’m so happy I found it again!!! I have made this for my family and they love them!!!

149. Chrysandra Anderson 4 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if I could use self rising flour instead of all purpose without using baking soda, since it already has baking powder within.

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

U could… See how it turns out… You may want to add a little baking powder in since its a full tablespoon in 2 cups flour

150. lucinda 4 years ago

Love this recipe, biscuit came out light and fluffy great recipe…

151. Evangelist Gary 4 years ago

I cook for myself and i just made some pinto beans for the first time lol now i want to try this recipe it looks good

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

I am making up a batch right this minute… To go with out bbq tbones!!

• Anonymous 4 years ago

This was my first batch.awesome.my wife loves them

152. Evangelist Gary 4 years ago

I want to try this it looks good…I cook for myself….And i just learned how to cook pinto beans lol…And they came out good lol

153. Bo 4 years ago

Easy to follow and to make. Taste like my grandmother’s. Thx for keeping it simple!

154. Anonymous 4 years ago

Can you make the dough, refrigerate it, and use it in the morning?

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Yes but I would let it sit out a bit to bring to room temp before baking!

155. Greggory Simpson 4 years ago

…was looking for homemade biscuit recipe- came upon this. ..read tons of the reviews and they all are true. AWESOME, FLAKY, SOFT. ..I used butter flavored shortening. ..yum yum. ..thank you thank you for this! I’m making the 30 min din rolls tonight is why I decided to post about the biscuits. And!!!- your website name is easy to refer for memory. . I just start looking for “made from scratch”.. & “Sandy” …something. ..and I find you easily!

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Awesome! Thanks Greggory! I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes! We sure do!

156. Kelley 4 years ago

Can I make the dough the night before and store in the fridge to make the next morning? If so, what is the best way to store it?

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Yes wrap in Saran Wrap … Pull it out and let it come to room temp before baking

157. Nicole 4 years ago

Do you happen to know nutrition info per biscuit or at least calories per biscuit at the very least? Thanks

158. Vickie White 4 years ago

I absolutely love these!!!! I’ve made them twice and they are so good! Thank you!!!

159. Erika 4 years ago

Hi, I was wondering are these still good the next day and how do I keep them as fresh as possible?

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Yes they are good tossed in a ziplock… No one that one or two days after though

160. Steve Clay Dellinger 4 years ago

Made these 3 times already. And as usual third time was the CHARM. This is probably the closet recipe to my Grandma’s and my wife’s Grandma’s. Thanks for postings this online.

And oh yeah you heard it right. A man made these biscuits.

• Sandy Meyer 4 years ago

Awesome! Love a man in the kitchen! Thanks Steve… we love these biscuits!

161. Jessica 4 years ago

🙁 I followed the recipe exactly, but they are not rising or turning brown. Looks like everyone else had good results. I must have done something wrong…

162. Edith H. 4 years ago

Just tried these quick easy biscuits to top of a healthy breakfast. Terrific results. I will use them again. God bless you for sharing. No one wants to make horrible biscuits but many do. Peace !!!

163. Terreina Blondell 4 years ago

We love the biscuits. Ours turned out great.

164. Sandy M. 4 years ago

Thank You!!!!! I reluctantly made these bisquits this morning. Was I ever very pleasantly surprised. I grew up eating my momma’s homemade southern bisquits. She never measured the ingredients. Even when she stood next to me to say “okay, that’s enough….no…that’s too much, I have never been able to come close. I think she set me up…lol. Well, these bisquits came out really tastey…not quite like momma’s, but pretty darn close. My Arkansas guy said he would not change anything. Oh, and he thinks he is a better cook than me….shhhh…he is, let’s just keep it a secret for now. 😉 P.S. I baked at 435 temp and added about 1/4 Cup extra half and half and cooked for approximately 25-26 minutes. I do not use shortening,so used all butter (the good stuff) and half and half because I had no milk on hand. I also used a cast iron skillet (just like momma). Next time I will try the buttermilk.

165. Jeff Mills 4 years ago

Best biscuits I’ve ever made, hands down.

166. Tabatha 4 years ago

Can I use buttermilk instead of regular milk?

167. Bridget Emanuel 3 years ago

I’ll be trying this recipe looks easy and delicious

168. Sarah m 3 years ago

I tried this recipe and they turned out great other than rising? Could you explain or point out what I could have done wrong. Thank you

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

It very well could be your baking powder! If its old baking powder it could prevent it from rising! Or too much kneading can prevent them from rising! Try again… It took me about 3 times before I got it right… now I make them about twice a week!

169. Kat 3 years ago

This is a great recipe and the kids even love to get involved and making them. All over win win

170. Wynette 3 years ago

Thank u ..gonna try.

• Esperanza 3 years ago

I know this is going to sound CRAZY but if you could possibly help me with converting the ingredients for this recipe for 3000 biscuits, PRETTY PLEASE.. I used one of the recipe ingredient converters online but it gave me everything in cup, I am thinking that it would be easier if I could get it in pounds… lol or if you could point me in the right direction possibly a website that will do that for me…

171. Guy 3 years ago

These biscuits are awesome! Had some friends visiting and was out of bisquick. Im glad I was because these were 100 times better. They went great with some moose sausage gravy. Thanks Sandy!

172. lady 3 years ago

Love…Love…Love this recipe! I’ve tried other recipes and ended up with crunchy hard biscuits :-\. This this recipe is simple and my family loved them!!

173. Danielle 3 years ago

We’ve been using the 20 Minute Biscuit recipe for a couple of months now and just love it.

174. Vivian Monroe 3 years ago

I make mine similar to this, but I use a frozen stick of butter and grate it. 🙂

175. Misty 3 years ago

I tried this recipe tonight using the all purpose gluten free flour by Domata. I’m certain you could use Bob’s Mills all purpose gluten free as well. At any rate it WAS amazing! The beauty of Domata is that you can exchange the flour cup for cup in any recipe.
    Thumbs up on this recipes for ease and taste!

176. LC 3 years ago

I wonder why mine didn’t come out flaky like your heart-shaped biscuits ?

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

It may take a couple times before they turn out just right! Keep trying… make sure to not over knead it!

177. Solana 3 years ago

Can I make these without baking powder??

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

No you really need the baking powder for the rise

178. Michele 3 years ago

This are a new household favorite! Easy to make and my family devoured them!

179. Barbara 3 years ago

I made these tonight and they were so easy to make and tasted great thank you

180. Geoffrey Kinuthia 3 years ago

marvelous. can’t forget this biscuits.
    I have even supplied them to some stores and are really on high demand.

181. Kristina 3 years ago

Can I use water instead of milk? I don’t always have milk in the house.

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

I never have… but its always worth a try!

• Jill 3 years ago

I can’t have milk so I substituted water. The biscuits were still delicious! If the flavor was different, I didn’t feel like they were lacking anything at all.

182. Heather 3 years ago

Hi there.
    Just want to know do you have to use whole milk or can I use 1%?
    Thanks

183. Lorenzo family 3 years ago

This recipe isn’t just simple, its awesome!! I baked these today and my 10 yr old and 5 yr old daughters went crazy. It was so simple and quick to make. No more can biscuits for the Lorenzo family. Thank you so much for your recipe. I made these as a side to go with my pot roast. The girls couldnt wait till the pot roast got finished. They just had to have them right then. All I hear is…..ummmmm….. Lol. So glad I tried these and the few items needed to make them I already had in my kitchen. Thank you again, God bless you and your family.

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing Lorenzo family! That is exactly how I feel about them!

184. Melissa 3 years ago

These came out perfect. I cooled em in my cast iron skillet. So good

• Greggory Simpson 3 years ago

only biscuits I make! … I’ve selected to receive updates from the comments for Sandy. I love seeing all the new people who have discovered this recipe! Promise, it makes me grin each time I read a new one. One additional note – if any left, the biscuits last a while in a zip lock baggie.

I added a video for the biscuit recipe! Thought I’d tell you personally 😉

185. Anonymous 3 years ago

If I wanted to have these for breakfast could I prepare them the night before?

186. Gwen Brown 3 years ago

I have been looking for a biscuit recipe I could make. Your recipe as made me cry. It was so easy to follow, I said a prayer, found your recipe and went to work. God bless you for making it easy for me.

Many thanks,
    Gwen B.

187. Jennifer 3 years ago

I made these and I did something wrong 🙁 they didn’t rise nor cook fully:( I did leave out the baking powder. Is that the issue maybe?:(

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Yes… Baking powder is the main component into the rising!

• Jennifer 3 years ago

Haha… thank you! 🙂

188. Julia Sandberg 3 years ago

These are some of the best biscuits I have ever made.

189. Lisa 3 years ago

I made these for the first time tonight…first time I have ever made from-scratch biscuits. My 16-year old son told me that under no circumstances, even in the event of a zombie apocalypse, was I ever to make biscuits from a tube again. Husband’s mouth was too full to comment. 🙂 One question, what % milk do you use? Do you think that would make a difference in any way? Thank you!

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

I typically use 2%… Unless I have whole milk on hand … But that’s pretty rare!

• Diana 3 years ago

I used 1%, came out perfectly!

190. Alisha 3 years ago

Help……I made these the taste was perfect. They where golden but hard. How can I get he soft & fluffy?

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

You may have over kneaded them… Be gentle and don’t knead very much. About 10-20 times

191. mary 3 years ago

Mine did not raise …. don’t know if I add too much baking powder. ..

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

It could either be your baking powder… It may be too old? Or you may have over kneaded it.

192. Anonymous 3 years ago

we need salted butter or unsalted butter

193. Nikole l 3 years ago

Soooo good I even tried frying them and they came out good… I like them both ways. Thanks for the recipe.. It came in handy for breakfast

194. grace 3 years ago

hi.I just want to ask we use melted butter or the block one?

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Block… I usually have mine room temp… Not melted … Cold works too… It just takes longer to cut it in

• Candace Coker 3 years ago

I used butter – very easy, quick and delicious! Thank you!

195. Lynn 3 years ago

Being a guy I was hesitant about taking on the daunting task of making homemade biscuits from scratch, however was pleasantly surprised as was the wife, at how perfect they turned out, especially for my first attempt. Thanks for the clear cut instructions.

196. morgan 3 years ago

Mine came out very hard 🙁 what did I do wrong? I felt like I followed it so closely.

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

It could be your baking powder could be old… Or you may have over kneaded it?!

197. Kim 3 years ago

Wow! I feel like a baker. So simple and fast. I’ve never made homemade biscuits before and now that I know it’s this easy I’ll never buy frozen or canned again. Thank you!

198. JoAnn Harmon 3 years ago

Since making biscuits I’ve been having them often and now I want to start making home made cake’s thanks for the input JoAnn

199. Dawn 3 years ago

I follows recipe exactly and the came out heavy…
    ? not light and fluffy
    I can’t imagine what I did wrong ?

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Either your baking powder is old… Or you may have over kneaded them.

200. Mary Schanze 3 years ago

Giving these a try they look yummy 🙂

201. Gabriela 3 years ago

They’re in the oven! Let’s see how they turn up, Thanks for the recipe xo

202. Cris 3 years ago

I decided to make as much home made food for Thanksgiving this year and wanted to use this recipe. I just did a test bake and these were some of the best tasting biscuits I’ve ever had. SO good and simple! Thank you so much. I can’t wait the rest of the family to taste them.

203. iolanda 3 years ago

Can I make the dough and wrap it up in plastic wrap and refrigerate thebnight before I want to bake it? Trying to make Thanksgiving easier and was thinking of making the dough tonight

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Yes you can … Just pull it out about an hour before hand to bring to room temp before finishing!!

204. Anonymous 3 years ago

These biscuits are super easy to make and have a great flavor!!!

205. sara e 3 years ago

thank you thank you thank you!!! omGosh these came out PERFECT….actually my whole Thanksgiving meal was absolutely spot on……the foldover part and cutting oh a miracle, I can not believe I nailed it…I will confess to 2 tablespoons of baking powder as my biscuits attempts are usually flat like pucks….thank you again, I look forward to looking at the rest of your recipes and such

206. Aysha 3 years ago

These biscuits were UH-MAZING (spelled wrong for emphasis). They taste better than any biscuit I’ve had from a restaurant. THANK YOU for sharing!

207. Donna Montanino 3 years ago

I made the biscuits instead of butter I used coconut oil… IMG_0723.JPG

208. cameron 3 years ago

Can you use normal flour or do you have to use ap flour

209. Andrea Espinoza 3 years ago

Mrs. Sandy, I just want to say thank you for posting this recipe. I made these buscuits and they turned out marvelous. I have never had such luck like this before in my years of makin buscuits. Thanks again.

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Thanks! We love these biscuits! Make them all the time!

210. Jermaine Lucas 3 years ago

I love you soooo much! ”hello, it is you im lookin for, you can see it in my eyes, you can see it in my smile!”

Now imagine that with a mouth full of hot damn biscuits! (thats what i call em)

And tell your dude he better not slip up!

211. tera 3 years ago

I was wondering could you use the butter that comes in the plastic containers instead of stick butter?

212. Anonymous 3 years ago

I made this kind of biscuits and it was realy delicious thanks a lot

213. Anonymous 3 years ago

It was realy a delicious biscuits thanks

214. LP 3 years ago

These biscuits were very bland. No one liked them. I will stick with JP Big Daddy’s Biscuits, from Allrecipes. Sorry.

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

That’s funny… It’s the same recipe from JP Big Daddy’s … I just made a tutorial of it. Sorry you had no luck… But it’s the same ingredients.

• Greggory Simpson 3 years ago

… maybe that extra 1/4 c flour threw it off for ya. ………… lol. Same ingredients- … these are the best, most simple to make. They are fluffy, moist, crumbly, perfect size for breakfast or dinner. I’ve been making them for a while- and continue to get the feedback comments just to see the praise to Sandy. I had to respond because your comment was the first negative in a long long long time-if any. …… try to make them again, spruce them up add, cheese, garlic. …but the basic recipe is awesome!

215. Chianka 3 years ago

Yes made these goodies and can’t get enough. So easy and so yummy. Thanks so much Sandy!!

216. S. 3 years ago

Excellent recipe. I used honey instead of sugar…very nice.

217. Jeanette 3 years ago

Thank you for this quick and easy recipe. We really enjoyed!

218. Arlene 3 years ago

I sifted my flour before using this recipe. OMG!! They were amazing. We were going to have biscuits and gravy but my family ate all the biscuits before we could make the gravy. Lol definitely keeping this recipe.

219. Jen 3 years ago

I think these are the best homemade biscuits I have ever made! My family loves them. I use butter when I make them and they are delicious. The fold-over and cut method is great. My little one loves that she can split it open all my herself.

220. Jamie 3 years ago

Thank you so much for this recipe! We had a great time making these awesome biscuits.

221. Anonymous 3 years ago

PlS is it liquid milk I wiLl use or dry milk

222. stephen 3 years ago

Any way to make it less sticky? I couldn’t cut it . Had to plop it down. Looked bad. Tasted great

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Try adding just a bit more flour

• Michelle 3 years ago

Stephen, I had extra flour on the board I used to knead them and added flour on top as I was kneading it so I could handle it. Not a lot. And I dipped the cup I used to cut them in flour before each cut. Hope that helps.

223. Jan 3 years ago

Thank you, Sandy, for sharing this wonderful homemade biscuit recipe. I couldn’t believe how fast & easy it was and not only that, it was the best tasting biscuit I have ever made so far. I have tried so many recipes just to be dissatisfied.

224. Susan 3 years ago

I love trying new recipes

225. Andrea 3 years ago

So delicious. I added cheese to the middle and they were amazing!

226. Rebecca Sanders 3 years ago

Just made these, and loved them! I do have a question though. My biscuits were not very thick. Will they rise better if they are touching on the pan? I know some frozen or refrigerated biscuits say that. Just curious!

(I honestly think it was my error though – I made 14 biscuits. Your pictures show 8!)

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

You may have just cut them down a bit more than I do… Keep them on the thick side when you are flattening them out if you want them thicker… and set them next to each other not quite touching … they will grow into each other… that may help them rise taller as well! I love these biscuits… It took me a handful of times before I mastered them!

227. Jeffery L Meyers 3 years ago

I’ve tried lots of homemade recipes for biscuits this is the best . We live in the mountains of northeastern Az. and have problems with altitude this recipe was perfect this will be the one we make from now on thank you

228. Tammi 3 years ago

excellent

229. Diana 3 years ago

Tried these yesterday morning, with lard, as shortening wasn’t available and I didn’t have enough butter… They turned out great, though lacking a bit in salt. And I put honey in and over them when they were done. Really need to put it in the mix though. This was my first time making biscuits!! I felt like “playing” in the kitchen, as my hunnie puts it lol. I put scrambled eggs with cilantro, garlic salt and homemade salsa in them, pretty good!
    I bought sausage yesterday, plan to make these biscuits with sausage and gravy!!! Mmm mmm
    Just wondering… is there a low carb option for this? I have gestational diabetes, and flour/carbs makes my sugar go up. Another type of flour? Thanks for such a great recipe, took me no more than 30min for the whole thing. Even my hunnie was like, “they’re done, that quuck??” LOL he’s so funny ?

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Love hearing this Diana!! Thanks for sharing! I’ve use bacon fat for shortening before too… Pretty good!
      As far as a low carb option… I have not played with it… Let me know if you do though and if it works out!!
      I love how quick and easy these biscuits are!

• Diana 3 years ago

I’ll let you know! I have yet to see a store near me with other flour than All purpose or baking. Wish I lived in a bigger city for that! They’re so easy to make, even my 2 year old ate some

230. Jennifer 3 years ago

I want to try these but I LOATHE any type of sweetness in my biscuits or cornbread (southern gal), would eliminating the sugar effect the outcome of the biscuits?
    Thank you! 🙂

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

I’ve made it without the sugar before… I had forgot to put it in… Your good making them without!

• Diana 3 years ago

No! I used the sugar, and they didn’t come out sweet at all. Not even with the salt. I didn’t use butter, either.

231. Leah 3 years ago

I made pizza do with this recipe, and it was delish, so simple for pizza! Will be trying tomorrow to make actual biscuits, thinking I might try a few variations – garlic butter, maybe some with cheddar cheese, some with buttermilk – see what might turn out!

232. Leah 3 years ago

I made pizza dough with this recipe, and it was delish, so simple for pizza! Will be trying tomorrow to make actual biscuits, thinking I might try a few variations – garlic butter, maybe some with cheddar cheese, some with buttermilk – see what might turn out!

233. Mar 3 years ago

I have been looking for the perfect biscuit recipe for YEARS and a friend made these amazing biscuits for us, and I just had to get the recipe, I was so impressed at how easy it is, and how perfectly they turn out! I’ve been sharing it with all my friends because they are so good. My friend recommended self rising flour in place of the flour and baking powder which makes the recipe even simpler! Thank you so much for this recipe!

234. Muniyrah West 3 years ago

Excellent, Fantastic, Tasty, Fluffy biscuits! Family loved, loved, loved them. I will be making them again this weekend for my mom and dad as well when they join us during our snow-in.

235. Sue Gregory 3 years ago

I have been trying to make biscuits for years like my mom use to make. They always turned out flat and lumpy. I tried this recipe and Wow! These were very close to being as good as Mom’s. I sent pictures to my children who are grown. So excited, thank you!

• Sandy Meyer 3 years ago

Awesome Sue!!! Glad you like them!! I love this recipe!

236. Angela 3 years ago

Hi Sandy
    This was my first time ever making biscuits (or anything bread-like) and your recipe was amazing. Very easy to follow and they came out delicious and perfect! My husband’s only complaint was that I didn’t double the recipe! Thank you. I’m so glad I came across your site.

237. sharon 3 years ago

In looking at recipes I saw yours looked through them they look delicious and easy to make where you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen more time with family especially when you always on the go with your family and need something to quickly put together for a meal you don’t have to put a lot of ingredients to have a good meal and keeps a great budget where you don’t have to spend a lot of money for a great healthy home cooked meal. It’s nice to see someone like yourself that takes the time to think and put recipes together like this from the pasta, biscuits, all recipes. Thank you Sandy keep up the great works you create and recipes.

238. shane cantor 3 years ago