20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

I call these the 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits… I’ve made these countless times over the years … They are by far one of the fastest bread sides I’ve come across… and they can darn near be added to any meal!  I found these biscuits through allrecipes … and I’ve made them with both butter or shortening and they turn out perfect either way!

We love these biscuits… they melt in your mouth!  Not only that but they take 20 minutes to make from start to finish!!  Sure beats those tubes of biscuits you pick up in the refrigerated section at the grocery store…  How fresh are those??  See any ingredients on the back you can’t even sound out???  And then compare to price for one tube to this recipe… Pennies on the dollar!

Its a win win!!  :)

20 min homemade bisuits collage

20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

• Servings: 6-8
  • Time: 20 Minutes
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 TBLS baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 TBLS sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
  • 1 cup milk
  • extra flour for the counter
  1. Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease baking sheet.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to bowl.
  3. Cut in shortening to resemble coarse crumbs.
  4. Add 1/2 the milk and mix then add the remaining and mix.
  5. Put on floured surface and kneed 15-20 times.
  6. Pat out flat and cut out biscuits.
  7. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
  8. Brush with butter as they come out.

Follow pictures for a step by step tutorial and helpful tips  :) …

In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar

In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar

Cut in the shortening

Cut in the shortening

Should look a little something like this :-)

Should look a little something like this :-)

Add 1/2 your milk and mix

Add 1/2 your milk and mix

Then add the remaining milk and mix... Should be looking like this

Then add the remaining milk and mix…
Should be looking like this

Flour your surface and pull the dough out... Coat all sides with some flour and kneed about 15 to 20 times... do not over do it!

Flour your surface and pull the dough out…
Coat all sides with some flour and kneed about 15 to 20 times… do not over do it!

Should look a little something like this... Flatted it out in a rectangle with your hands

Should look a little something like this…
Flatted it out in a rectangle with your hands

Roll the rest out... Keep it a little on the thick side

Roll the rest out… Keep it a little on the thick side

Here's a good trick... Grab one end and fold it over...  That way when they are done its easy to cut them down the middle and open them up!

Here’s a good trick…
Grab one end and fold it over…

You could totally use a biscuit cutter and cut them out... But I just like to slice them so there no wasted dough at the end!

You could totally use a biscuit cutter and cut them out…
But I just like to slice them so there no wasted dough at the end!

Place on greased pan and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes

Place on greased pan and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes

Pull them out and let cool for a few minutes...

Pull them out and let cool for a few minutes…

20 minute biscuits

I like to brush some butter across the top… Makes them pretty! ;-)

Here is a couple pictures of cut out ones… sometimes I’ll shape them as hearts too ;)

If you like these… Try my Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits or 30 Minute Dinner Rolls

Looking for good breads??  My favorite is Amish White Bread and Easy French Bread

I used this recipe in Homemade Chicken & Biscuits

Now you have a dinner for everyone... All in one dish!

Now you have a dinner for everyone… All in one dish!

About scratchthiswithsandy

I'm a wife and a mother of four, three rapidly growing boys and a little girl that has brought so much love to our family... (and a lot more pink around) I also am a local Real Estate Broker but my biggest job of all is Baking, Cooking, (cleaning) and Feeding this ever growing family (& friends) of mine! I'm guilty of posting some of my favorite goodies on my Facebook page... I'm always getting questions and requests so I thought why take a little extra time and take some pictures during the process and post them for all of you with the recipes so you can try them out with your family and friends!
This entry was posted in Bread and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

216 Responses to 20 Minute Homemade Biscuits

1. Meagan says:

Made these yesterday, not sure what happened but the dough was dry and they turned out kinda hard!! Going to give another try since it was my first time making homemade biscutts .

2. mandi says:

Was wondering does it need to be self-rising or all purpose flour

3. linsay says:

I don’t know what I did wrong! I followed every step but it was near imposible to kneed this dough. I stuck to everything all over my hands. Finally just dropped it onto to baking sheet in 5 lumpy rounds, so will see how it bakes! Lol

4. Renee' Lizana says:

I am 12 years old and I made the biscuits today for my grandparents and myself. The instructions were easy to follow and kneading the dough was pretty easy to. The turned out great and delicious!

• linsay says:

Did you add extra flower? My dough was not dry enough. I’m wondering if it is cause I used butter instead of shortening and milk substitute. They still came out good just weirdly shaped.

• mandi says:

use extra flour, flour your hands too makes it alot easier and i used self-rising cause then u don’t have to worry about baking soda came out great

• That could of changed it. Just toss a little extra flour in… It should be a little sticky when you move it to the counter… and kneed it into that flour as well.

• Melinda says:

a cook once told me when making biscuits the dough should be wet and then kneed then on a well floured counter top. she is right……………………….

• Cat says:

Linsay, I always use real butter, never shortening. I always use whole milk or buttermilk. The dough is supposed to be kind of wet, then dumped onto a floured board and add flour as you knead/fold it. Mine always turn out perfect that way. I gently shape the dough into a somewhat small rectangle/square, and cut them with a cutter, never twisting the cutter, push it straight down. Perfect beautiful round flaky biscuits every time. The final scraps molded into the last biscuit are funky looking, though.

• Thanks Cat! Yes the dough should be sticky when you move it to the counter… And gently knead do not over do it! I’d say try again Linsay!

5. debbie howell says:

We love everything we have tried from your site. My finance made your french bread today. Just pulled it from the oven. Smells and looks great!!! Not a morning goes by without fresh biscuits anymore. Love ya… keep it up

6. jiimedale says:

OMG, I have not had briskets like this scene I was a boy in Arkansas. Mama use to make’em just like this but she just did it all in the top of the flower sack except folding it out on an enamel counter by the stove. All I need now is a fried chunk of salt pork and I’ll be back home.

7. Janis says:

I made these for the fam yesterday and they loved them. My husband rarely eats biscuits and he really enjoyed them. Thank you for sharing!

8. Tiffany says:

These were so simple and came out great! I did have to add a little more milk to get the right consistency and buttered the typos a few time before they were done. Yummy!

9. Pingback: Roasted Pork Shoulder | Scratch This with Sandy

10. Kenzie says:

I usually hate working with dough, but this recipe is super easy and quick. They came out perfect! The second time i made them, added cheese, garlic and oregano, and that’s now a family favorite.

11. Phil says:

I tripled the sugar, added 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and folded in raisins to make cinnamon raisin biscuits. I brushed with butter then drizzled a vanilla glaze on them. Super yummy!

12. Jo Anne says:

My Grandmother was known for her biscuits that she made every morning. They had a farm so seems like there was a jar of “clabbered” milk on the counter over night. She also had a square 8×8 black metal pan that she put grease in to melt in the oven. When she placed the biscuits in the pan she ran them thru the hot grease and then turned them over. No one has this recipe of course!

13. Jean says:

Shall make this.

Liked by 1 person

14. These were super easy, quick, and fluffy. I left out sugar, and added melted local honey (1 tbsp) between the milk additions. I used butter and almond milk. Overall, very easy to do. Thanks!

15. Lindsey says:

I made these this morning, they were so tasty! Just perfect. And the dough took less than 5 minutes to make. I was a little scepticle to make homemade biscuits because I always buy the prepackaged ones and it sounded like a lot of work. but I don’t plan on going back, the taste and price of making these is so much better! Thanks for sharing

16. Attagrrl87 says:

I found this recipe and whipped it up in no time! My biscuits tasted great but they didnt rise and look fluffy like the ones in the picture. I used regular flour and baking powder. Did you use self-rising flour to get them so fluffy?

17. Eva Lee says:

Thanks! These were a lifesaver…. I make dinner for my 3 sibling 3 times a week. Each one of them likes different food and finding something they all will eat is an endless challenge. I had already made carrots for one of my siblings, chicken in BBQ sauce for another and had a third sibling throwing a temper tantrum… I quickly found your recipe and whipped it up… and to my great joy all 3 of my siblings and me loved them!!! I will have to make these more often.

18. Cheryl says:

Made these today for first time with my 2yr old easy to make didnt look like the picture but tasted great will make them again

19. Shamayam says:

I lost my old homemade biscuit recipe and came upon this one. I just pulled them out the oven and they taste AMAZING! I used coconut oil instead of butter or shortening, and ran out of my 2% milk half way through, so I used half 2% and half unsweetened vanilla almond milk. They taste so good, better than my old recipe. This one is for the books. Also, my dough was really wet so I made sure the surface, hands, and dough were well floured. That got it to a soft dough.

20. sakthi says:

very easy recipe. tried it but used white flour did ‘ nt turn out how i thought it would taste

21. Jeni80 says:

Made these tonight, and WOW! So good! This recipe is a keeper…thank you so much! :)

22. Susan Garretson says:

Made these tonight. They taste great, but I ended up having to add extra milk and they didn’t rise very much. I used a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening. What did I do wrong?

23. Pingback: 12 Indoor Activities for At Home (For When the Weather is Crap!) | Nashville Moms Blog

24. Robin says:

Easy & awesome…I have never been able to do biscuits well but tried this & now I am making almost daily becasue my family loves them. Lots of kuddos from all as they biten into the moist & soft flavorfull biscuit. Thanks so much! Follow the recipe exactly…I used skim milk because that is what we buy still great!

Liked by 1 person

25. Preeeeeetty sure I need to make these this weekend.

26. Only 20 mins. to make? That’s fantastic! I’m definitely making them and bookmarking this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

27. Jeanine says:

Wow these look really delicious. Easy too.i may give these a try tonight! Yum

28. Maryann says:

Looks delicious and easy! Thanks for the recipe– will give it a try!

29. Andi says:

I am TOTALLY going to make these and impress my hubby. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

30. These are so simple! I didn’t know I could make my own so easily! Thank you!

31. These look great! I adore biscuits with sweet or savory dishes!

32. yaitza says:

my hubby and son absolutely love biscuits… I have to admit that whenever I want to treat them with some, I go for the frozen kind since, I usually only have coconut flour and almond flour at home… this looks so simple and one that my hubby can pop out whenever he craves it ;o)

33. I love homemade biscuits! I haven’t ever made this version, but I do make a version that only has two ingredients (self-rising flour and whipping cream) that’s pretty much fool-proof. I’ll have to give these a try and see how they compare! :)

34. Shelly says:

wish I could eat gluten these look amazing!

35. yummy! Biscuits are one of my favorite things. So flaky and delicious. I am always looking for a good recipe for them.

36. Talmadge S. Bradley says:

Please let these be as good as they look, and make it easy for me to find this recipe again.

37. Kyla Currier says:

These look amazing! I hope they taste as good as they look!

38. This is crazy! What an interesting recipe. When they’re round, we call them scones but I’ve never seen them served with chicken in a dish. That’s genius!

Katie <3

39. I never thought about folding them over. What a great trick!!

40. Melissa G says:

I made these this morning with my 5 year old. Super easy! I had never made rolled out biscuits before (just drop biscuits because I am lazy and afraid of my rolling pin), but these were awesome, and as it turns out, not hard to flatten and cut (I just used my hands)! Totally making these again.

41. Debbie says:

Looks good and easy to make too.

42. Taya says:

These biscuits were so delicious! So easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. I will never buy biscuits again! And they stayed pretty moist for at least 2-3 days! Making them again for breakfast today!

43. Beth says:

These were super easy and quick to make! The family loved them! Can you freeze the dough?

44. scsurfbutler says:

Hi there, I wanted to make biscuits and gravy this morning and your biscuit recipe was my choice and it was a good choice. Easy to follow instructions and bam I got biscuits. Thanks for the recipe.

45. Doris Periman says:

I have to tell Thank you for a wonderful biscuit recipe i made them tonight and they were awesome taste just like the ones my mom used to make will keep this recipe and use it as it is so much better then Bisquick from the box but I didn’t cut them out i just used my hands like my mom used to do and they were so easy.

46. Sapphire says:

These biscuits have turned out great every time I make them with buttermilk and real butter – never shortening. I also put my flour in the freezer to keep it cold so the butter also stays cold and I get wonderful flaky layers that my Southern-born husband absolutely loves. I’m wondering today, if I could substitute some or all of the cold butter with cold bacon grease to give it a nice bacony flavor? Opinions?

47. Liz says:

Tried to make them but the dough was very sticky. Could not knead because all it did was stick to my hands. Floured the surface, dough, and my hands. Followed the recipe word for word, step by step. Ended up throwing it away.

48. Nasya Acosta says:

Those look amazing! I love biscuits.
    Turquoise and Tortoiseshells

Let me know what you think... Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s