I’ve been really busy with work lately and have been falling behind on having my Amish Bread on hand… On top of that I had all the kids home on Monday and instead of making my bread like I usually do… I took the boys for haircuts, lunch at Red Robin and a little shopping afterward! By the time we got home I knew I was either gonna be in the kitchen till 9 making my bread for school the next day… or I could make up some bagels in half the time and they could have a change up in the lunch boxes this week!
Homemade Bagels it is!
- 4 cups flour
- 4 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water 110-120 degrees
- 3 TBLS sugar
- 1 TBLS salt
- 1 TBLS sugar (used in the boiling water)
- Put sugar and salt in bowl and pour water in… mix to dissolve and sprinkle yeast over top. Let sit for 5 minutes
- Add half the flour and mix with whisk… Then change out to your dough hook and add remaining flour… Mix till dough is pulled from sides.
- Pull your dough out and kneed by hand for 5-10 minutes… You may need a lil flour for the surface.
- Once you have had your work out and your arms are feeling good… Place your dough in a greased bowl… flip so both sides are greased… cover and let rest 15-30 minutes.
- Pull it out and flatten it down
- Make a snake or log with it
- Cut it into 12 even pieces
- Roll each piece into a ball
- Poke a hole in the middle of your ball and gently enlarge the hole while forming your bagel… Place on a cookie sheet and let rise for 20 minutes
- While your bagels are rising in a large pot boil water… Turn it down to simmer and sprinkle 1 TBLS sugar in the water
- Place 4 of the bagels in to the simmering/boiling water… Let cook for about 3-4 minutes
- Flip so the other side is in the water and let cook for about 3-4 minutes
- Once done boiling place on a greased baking sheet… I put a little corn meal down as well… totally optional. Repeat till remaining bagels are done.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes
- Let cool for a minutes and move to a cooling rack… serve warm or cold!
Oven temp 375 degrees
While your bagels are rising in a large pot boil water… Turn it down to simmer and sprinkle 1 TBLS sugar in the water