I found this recipe (on the back of a sugar bag) years ago in search of a good sugar cookie recipe… Mine use to always turn out flat and hard… Once the first batch came out I wrote the recipe down in my notebook… I haven’t tried any other recipe since!
Best Roll-Out Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Butter softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 5 cups Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Mix your sugar and butter together
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Add 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt… Mix
- Add remaining flour… mix
- Your dough should be nice and thick
- Plop it into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Flour a surface and pull a chuck off… kneed it gently to work it a bit
- press flat with your hands
- roll the rest out with a rolling pin… anywhere 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick… just remember to be consistent on the next chunk you have to roll out!
- Cut out your cookies!
With the scraps add some more dough and repeat the last couple steps till you’ve used it all up!
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees 6-8 minutes
- Let cool on pan for at least 2 minutes, then move to cooling rack
- Frost with desired frosting… or keep plain. I used this recipe Sugar Cookie Frosting.
Once they have completely cooled you can frost them with my Sugar Cookie Frosting recipe!