One of my favorite appetizers to order at restaurants is Coconut Prawns! I’m not a huge seafood fan… but for some reason I find myself craving Coconut Prawns all the time! So when I see a good sale on seafood I’ll usually pick up a pound just for this recipe!
This recipe is really as simple as it can get I found it from this great site! And for the sauce I didn’t have any Thai Sweet Chili sauce on hand so I went for our favorite Tiger Sauce as a substitute.
These are great on there own as an appetizer or a perfect side dish with a nice steak! Give it a try the next time you pick up some prawns!!!
Coconut Prawns with Spicy Orange Tiger Sauce
- 20 large or jumbo prawns
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded dry coconut (I used sweetened it suggested unsweetened… I didn’t find them too sweet because of it)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup Orange Marmalade
- 1-2 TBLS Tiger Sauce or Thai Sweet Chili sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- To make the sauce stir together ingredients and set aside. You could warm it up if desired in the microwave for 30 seconds or on the stove top. I liked it served cold.
- Leaving the tail on, shell and devein the shrimp and rinse under cold water.
- Pat dry with paper towels and hit with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour, egg and coconut in 3 separate bowls.
- Heat your vegetable oil to 350 degrees in a deep pot.
- Prep all your prawns by first hitting them with flour, then dip in egg and then in coconut.
- Fry in oil until golden brown… this will only take a few minutes so stay close!
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with Spicy Orange Tiger Sauce.
For step by step tutorial see the following photos…